[env-trinity] Trinity River spawning survey - LAST update December 22, 2010

Charles_Chamberlain at fws.gov Charles_Chamberlain at fws.gov
Wed Dec 22 16:51:43 PST 2010

Hi all,
Our mainstem Trinity River spawning survey season has drawn to a close.
Our crews mapped the locations of 4,030 redds and handled over 3,700
carcasses.  A swollen river kept us off the lower reaches late in the
season, especially in the lower reaches where Chinook Salmon spawn a bit
later into the year or the numbers would have been a bit higher.
Preliminary results are available through the link below.

I'd like to thank the crews of Shasta-Trinity National Forest, California
Department of Fish and Game, Yurok Tribal Fisheries Program, Hoopa Valley
Tribal Fisheries Department, and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service for
conducting a safe survey and collecting this critical data for the Trinity
River Restoration Program.  It looks like fun work (and it is!), but there
can also be some long days grinding it out in foul weather while handling
dozens of rotting carcasses.  Thanks for getting quality data!

And thanks to all of you for tuning in this season!
Charlie

             Charles
             Chamberlain/AFWO/
             R1/FWS/DOI                                                 To
                                       env trinity
             09/21/2010 03:42                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Trinity River spawning survey
                                       update

Hi all,
It's that season again!  Fall 2010 salmon spawning surveys of the mainstem
Trinity River are underway.  These are conducted collaboratively by the
Arcata Fish and Wildlife Office, California Department of Fish and Game,
Yurok Tribal Fisheries Program, Hoopa Valley Tribal Fisheries Department,
and the Shasta-Trinity National Forest.  Our first within-season update for
the 2010 redd survey is available from the Arcata Fish and Wildlife Office
Website at the link below.  Click on "Trinity River 2010 Redd Survey
Update" near the bottom of the page.  We will make updates available
throughout this season at this same site.

http://www.fws.gov/arcata/fisheries/projectUpdates.html

Here's to hoping for a great run this year.
Cheers!
Charlie

Charlie Chamberlain
Fish Biologist - U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Arcata Fish & Wildlife Office
1655 Heindon Road
Arcata, CA 95521

Charles_Chamberlain at fws.gov
Phone: (707) 825-5110    Fax: (707) 822-8411