[env-trinity] Eureka Times Standard 1 6 11

Byron Leydecker bwl3 at comcast.net
Fri Jan 7 17:51:14 PST 2011

Fishing the North Coast: Rivers turn green - steelhead await

Kenny Priest/For the Times-Standard

Click photo to enlarge

Michael Carroll, left and 12 year old son Gannon of... (Photo courtesy of
Tyler Bachmann Fishing)

*	 <http://www.times-standard.com/fishingthenorthcoast/ci_17025900> <
*	1 <http://www.times-standard.com/fishingthenorthcoast/ci_17025900>
*	 <http://www.times-standard.com/fishingthenorthcoast/ci_17025900> >

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site127/2011/0106/20110106__FNC_
VIEWER.jpg

The rain has stopped and the southern rivers are turning green - it's now
steelhead time. After what seems like an eternity, the rain has finally
given way to sunshine - allowing rivers like Redwood Creek, Mad, So Fork
Eel, Van Duzen, and the Mattole to recede and clear. Other than the Mad,
most of these rivers haven't seen a boat or an angler since the middle of
December when the rains came and wiped out the tail end of the salmon
season. No one knows for sure if the steelhead will be here, but based on
the numbers of salmon that returned to the coastal rivers, we could be in
for an exceptional season. We should have a real good idea after this
weekend.

With most of the rivers back to fishable levels this weekend, there should
be plenty of options for local steelhead anglers. This should take a little
pressure off the Chetco and Smith, which have been fishing for a week now
and giving up some good numbers.

 Upper Trinity

Steve Huber of Steve Huber's Guide Service reports the fishing has been real
good from Douglas City down to Junction City. "The river is in absolute
perfect shape, with just a little color and I've been able to put together a
couple real good days - with Monday being as good as it gets as we hooked
and landed seven fish. There's certainly a good amount of fish in the river
and the boat traffic has been light. Almost all my fish are coming on plugs,
but anglers using bait are also doing well," Huber said.

Byron Leydecker, JcT

Chair, Friends of Trinity River

415 383 4810 land

415 519 4810 mobile