[env-trinity] Golden Gate Salmon Association

Byron Leydecker bwl3 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 19 13:36:43 PST 2011

For Immediate Release

January 17, 2011

Golden Gate Salmon Association (GGSA) Launches Salmon Recovery Actions

GGSA joins the Sacramento International Sportsmen's Exposition in its first
public forum

The new Golden Gate Salmon Association will participate in the International
Sportsmen's Exposition show January 20th - 23 in Sacramento at the Cal Expo
Center.  Interested individuals can pick up literature about GGSA or join
the organization at Water4Fish booth 3340, the Clarks Outdoor Adventure
booth or Johnson Hicks Marine booth 3146.  These booths are in C building.
Those joining GGSA at the show will be entered in a raffle for a one day
fishing trip with Wacky Jacky out of SF, The New Sea Angler out of Bodega
Bay or the Salty Lady out of Sausalito.

The Golden Gate Salmon Association was recently formed by a coalition of
commercial, recreational and environmental salmon leaders.  Its purpose is
to provide financial and manpower resources to assist in the recovery of the
Central Valley salmon through legal, public relations, lobbying and science
activities.  The GGSA is a member based regional nonprofit organization
whose principal objective is the revival, protection and enhancement of the
Central Valley salmon and their habitat and the furtherance of our
sustainable recreational and commercial fishing culture through working with
elected officials, regulatory agencies and other legal, educational and
outreach organizations. The organization will begin a series of fundraising
dinners early in 2011.

Mr. Victor Gonella is the President of GGSA and one of its principal
organizers.  He says, "The salmon collapse of Northern California is a
travesty.  In spite of hundreds of individuals and dozens of organizations
working on recovery, the runs continue to decline towards extinction.   GGSA
will bring new funding and new resources to attack this problem.  We
encourage everyone who cares about salmon to join us and volunteer for one
of our committees.  The committees are: Administration and Finance,
Government Affairs, Membership and Public Relations, Fundraising, and
Science.  Dues are $25."

GGSA starts with a powerful and committed Board of Directors with diverse
skills and backgrounds.  Those designated so far include Dan Bacher of the
Fish Sniffer, Jim Caito of Caito Fisheries, Ron Davis of Davis Appraisals,
Ken Elie of Outdoor Pro Shop, Victor Gonella of Autoworld, Zeke Grader of
PCFFA, Jonah Li of Hi's Tackle Box,  John McManus of Earth Justice, Barry
Nelson of NRDC, Galen Onizuka of Johnson Hicks Marine, Dick Pool of
Pro-Troll Fishing Products, Rick Powers of Bodega Bay Sportfishing, Roger
Thomas of Golden Gate Fishermen's Association, and David Zeff of David Zeff
Attorneys.

Brian Layng is CEO of the International Sportsmen's Expositions.  He says,
"We are very encouraged and optimistic about the Golden Gate Salmon
Association.  We all need to be more active in recovering the salmon and
this organization will give us the clout we need.  I encourage everyone to
participate and support this organization."

Contacts:              Victor Gonella (707) 762-2712
Dick Pool (925) 963-6350

Zeke Grader (415) 606-5140                          Roger Thomas (415)
760-9362

Byron Leydecker, JcT

Chair, Friends of Trinity River

415 383 4810 land