[env-trinity] Byron Leydecker has passed away

Jeff Sutton jsutton at tccanal.com
Mon May 16 17:16:37 PDT 2011

As a representative of a large contingency of CVP Water Contractors, you
would think a relationship between Byron and myself would have been very
unlikely, or at least somewhat strained.  To the contrary, I had the
absolute pleasure and privilege of getting to know Byron over the past three
years, and was welcomed by him and drawn to him from day one (a recurrent
theme in all of the notes I have read mourning his loss, speaking volumes on
the character of the man).  We traded e-mails, had chats on the phone,
shared articles and stories of interest, strategized together on occasion,
and discussed and debated areas of agreement and disagreement.  I have great
respect for the work he did for the Trinity River, and the process itself,
and greatly appreciated his understanding and appreciation for my
perspective as a water user as well.  His passion, intelligence, wit, and
unique way of communicating will be sorely missed.  I have thought of him as
a great new friend that I was just really getting to know, that was taken
away much too soon.  I consider myself fortunate to have spent the limited
amount of time that I did with Byron.  The Trinity River had no better
friend than Byron Leydecker, his passion and memory will live on in the
river restoration efforts that will be carried on by all of the folks he
inspired.

Jeffrey P. Sutton
General Manager
Tehama Colusa Canal Authority