[env-trinity] 2 Rivers Tribune- Chairman Shuts Down Newspaper Day Before New Council Sworn In

Tom Stokely tstokely at att.net
Sat Jul 2 17:16:34 PDT 2011

Chairman Shuts Down Newspaper Day Before New Council Sworn In
By TWO RIVERS TRIBUNE STAFF

http://www.tworiverstribune.com/2011/07/chairman-shuts-down-newspaper-day-before-new-council-sworn-in/

The only newspaper in Eastern Humboldt County and the last Native owned newspaper in the State of California has been shut down “effective immediately,” by Hoopa Valley Tribal Chairman, Leonard Masten Jr.

“In addition to financial troubles, the Council and the Chairman’s office was very disappointed in the recent articles that were published in the paper,” Masten said in a memo dated June 30, but delivered on July 1, perhaps not coincidentally the same day three new Tribal Council members were sworn into office.

Masten claims in the memo that the Newspaper is running a $189,000 deficit over the course of the past three years, however Newspaper financial records paint a much different picture. Last fiscal year the Newspaper was in the black and is on course to profit again this fiscal year even during a world-wide economic collapse and a national recession when hundreds of newspapers shut their doors because they couldn’t meet their bottom line.

 The popular weekly sold out at several locations this week and averages over 1,700 website hits per day.

“It’s hard to watch our Newspaper doors being shut on us after we’ve worked tirelessly over the past two decades to make it what it is today,” Managing Editor Lorencita Lavine said after learning the news.

 Lavine is currently on maternity leave and has been since April. She was scheduled to return August 1, but her job has been eliminated along with the jobs of Interim Managing Editor, Allie Hostler; Advertising Sales Representative, Connie J. Davis; and Humboldt State University summer journalism intern, Scottie Lee Meyers. Several of the Two Rivers Tribune freelance contributors and Couriers are also left hanging.

Masten referenced the “Man on the Run” article as being one of the reasons the Tribe can longer subsidize the Newspaper. He also stated that “The Chairman’s office has taken a strong stance against drugs and the paper has articles promoting drugs.”

Both Lavine and Hostler cannot recall a time when the Newspaper has ever promoted drugs. In fact, the Newspaper has always been an active supporter of healthy communities and anti-drug campaigns.

“I believe the Chairman is referring to our marijuana themed issue of the Paper published on June 28,” Hostler said. “If you read the stories, nothing in them promotes the use of marijuana, in fact, they promote the opposite; Connie’s research on Hemp’s used as a means to eradicate marijuana is quite informative as well as Scottie’s article about why the petition to repeal Title 34 failed. The Newspaper has plans to publish a themed edition each week throughout the summer with this Tuesday’s paper highlighting the garbage problem in our rural communities.”

According the Society of Professional Journalists, journalists should be honest, fair and courageous in gathering, reporting and interpreting information. Journalists should also support the open exchange of views, even views they find repugnant. And, among other things, journalists should be vigilant and courageous about holding those with power accountable.

 “We stand firm that we are doing our jobs in a manner that the Tribe and its membership can be proud of. Who else is going to serve as a watchdog to the powers that be if we don’t?,” Hostler said. “It’s a struggle to squeeze relevant and important information from government officials as it is. Without a Newspaper you can expect what’s left of democracy in our river communities to die. We are being threatened with our jobs fordoing our jobs.”

A memo dated January 19, 2011 from Masten states that the Two Rivers Tribune is required to offer free advertising to Tribal enterprises.

 Lavine asks how on one hand can we be expected to give away free advertising and on the other hand be scrutinized for not making adequate profit?

The Two Rivers Tribune circulates 1,400 copies each week in the towns of Arcata, Willow Creek, Salyer, Burnt Ranch, Hoopa, Weitchpec, Orleans, Somes Bar and Happy Camp. There are also more than 300 faithful readers who receive the Two Rivers Tribune via paid subscriptions.

A meeting will be held at the Hoopa Valley Tribal Council Chambers on Tuesday, July 5 at 9am. All members of the public are encouraged to attend to discuss this issue.

Interim Managing Editor, Allie Hostler can be reached at (707)502-5027