[env-trinity] Trinity River trapping summaries

Tom Stokely tstokely at att.net
Mon Oct 10 13:16:16 PDT 2011

From: Wade Sinnen <WSinnen at dfg.ca.gov>
Date: October 10, 2011 12:59:39 PM PDT
To: Curtis Milliron <Cmilliro at dfg.ca.gov>
Subject: Trinity River trapping summaries

Folks,

The attached spreadsheet contains trapping data through Oct. 7th, 2011.  The Junction City weir was removed for the season last week.  We are seeing large numbers of steelhead pass through Willow Creek and have surpassed the number trapped there all of last year.  Since many are AD-clipped hatchery fish we expect ample opportunity for harvest on steelhead this year.  The Department encourages harvest of these hatchery steelhead since it appears we will have no problem meeting egg take goals for this species at the hatchery this year.

Another encouraging sign in the data this year is that a large percentage of Chinook salmon are two year old jacks (grilse).  This potentially bodes well for next year's run, particularly the three year old adult component.

If you have any questions, please feel free to respond to this email.

Regards,

Wade

Wade Sinnen
Acting Senior Biologist Supervisor
Klamath/Trinity Program

CA Dept. of Fish and Game
Northern California - North Coast District
5341 Ericson Way
Arcata, CA 95521
(707) 822-5119