[env-trinity] Siskiyou Daily News- Sheriffs discuss challenges they believe rural communities face

Tom Stokely tstokely at att.net
Wed Oct 26 11:38:38 PDT 2011

Sheriffs discuss challenges they believe rural communities face
Zoom
Photos

John Bowman
Siskiyou County Sheriff Jon Lopey introduces the panel of Northern California and Southern Oregon sheriffs at the Defend Rural America rally.

By John Bowman
Siskiyou Daily News
Posted Oct 25, 2011 @ 09:18 AM
Yreka, Calif. —
About 700 people attended a meeting at the Siskiyou Golden Fairgrounds on Saturday sponsored by the activism group Defend Rural America, founded by Idaho native Kirk MacKenzie.
The meeting consisted of a film, a fundraising auction and discussions with a panel of eight sheriffs from Northern California and Southern Oregon.
A charter bus brought more than 40 people from the Bay Area and around 250 people from other areas outside of Siskiyou County, according to Liz Bowen of Scott Valley Protect Our Waters (POW), who co-organized the event.

More than 10 political action groups were in attendance, distributing information about candidates, ballot initiatives and issue-specific campaigns.
 The event got underway with the premier of a documentary film by MacKenzie about the Klamath dam removal issue and how it relates to the current status of rural communities in Siskiyou County and around the country.
The film presented a wide array of concerns about the federal government’s role in land management and its impacts on rural economies and communities.
Many Siskiyou County residents were featured in the film, speaking about potential effects of dam removal and wider-ranging topics such as the influence of the United Nations and environmental groups on rural communities.
After the film and the auction, the panel of sheriffs, including Siskiyou County Sheriff Jon Lopey and a property rights attorney, took the stage to address their concerns about the challenges they believe rural communities are facing.
Lopey began the panel discussion by presenting his views about Klamath dam removal, what he sees as federal government incursion into state and county jurisdictions, and the current state of rural America.
Lopey told the audience that many sheriffs in Northern California and Southern Oregon are becoming increasingly concerned about government taking power out of the hands of citizens and making poor land use decisions that have the potential to destroy the “rural way of life.”
“These are constitutional issues,” Lopey told the crowd.
“We are here because sheriffs are sworn to uphold the United States constitution. We are broke, so why are these people doing stupid stuff to make us poorer?” Lopey asked, referring to concerns about the costs associated with Klamath dam removal, and higher taxes and power rates that may come along with the process.
Del Norte County Sheriff Dean Wilson told the audience that “there is an assault on our communities. The government is denying us of our resources that make us self-sustaining. We have allowed this to happen to our country, but our founding fathers gave us the tools to fix it. We can take back our country county by county.”
Nearly every sheriff mentioned concerns about decommissioning of roads in publicly owned forests and the lack of government coordination with local officials during the process.
Trinity County Sheriff Bruce Haney said roads in national forests are essential for search and rescue missions in remote areas.
Haney also expressed his concerns about the influence of government and environmentalists.
“The federal government is being inundated by environmentalists,” Haney said. “Our youth are being indoctrinated by the public schools system and colleges.”
Plumas County Sheriff Greg Hagwood said, “Events like this are something that hasn’t happened before. There is an awakening of a giant here.”
Every sheriff received a standing ovation after their opening statements, and many of the panel’s comments were punctuated with applause throughout the discussion.
For more information about Defend Rural America, visit www.defendruralamerica.com.

– John Bowman can be reached at jbowman at siskiyoudaily.com