[env-trinity] Trinity Journal- opinions on TRRP

Tom Stokely tstokely at att.net
Wed Nov 9 10:38:32 PST 2011

TRRP: Resist nature speed-up

http://www.trinityjournal.com/news/2011-11-09/Opinion/TRRP_Resist_nature_speedup.html

FROM M. VAUGHN LEWISTON
Engineered log jams. No! Gravel augmentation. No! Please, Trinity River Restoration Program, resist temptation to speed up nature with gravel and log augmentation.

Your meetings to educate have no impact on people who, like me, have experience and gut feelings, and know the plans are wrong.

Stop trying to force the river to meander with your engineering. These efforts to speed up nature are not needed.

Our Trinity is a river canyon with a unique ecosystem that includes rapids, deep holes and bedrock river bottoms. Your designs obliterate these features.

Please remove the vegetation along the river edge that accumulates sediment and creates further and further build-up of land into the waterway. Our river is choked. This vegetation removal is necessary because the river no longer dries up in summer and fall — the vegetation is constantly watered and too healthy from a historic perspective. Stressed, and dead, vegetation would fall in the river in high water and the woody debris your agency advocates for the river, would be there for the fish.

Nature will do its own engineering if your agency fixes the largest man-made river problems: removal of over-vegetation and noxious weeds.

http://www.trinityjournal.com/news/2011-11-09/Opinion/Native_fish_stocks_in_question.html

Native fish stocks in question

FROM HERB BURTON LEWISTON
In response to D. Johnson’s letter (“TRRP playing in sandbox,” Oct. 26 Journal), as a riverfront property owner it must be frustrating dealing with the TRRP and their “guesses.” Based upon years of controversial guesses and failed river projects (side channels, notching, gravel injections, river channel modifications, etc.), it obviously generates major concern.

From a fisheries perspective, ever wonder what it may be like for “native” salmon and steelhead stocks struggling to survive throughout the targeted upper reach, Trinity River Lewiston Dam-North Fork, when the TRRP is a major threat?