[env-trinity] Trinity River Budget Questions

Tom Stokely tstokely at att.net
Sat Dec 3 09:50:41 PST 2011

All,

I have had several inquiries about the $36 million figure cited in the Redding Record Searchlight for expenditures to restore the Trinity River's fish.  I did not make that statement and I have to assume that the $36 million is just what has been spent on the mainstem "restoration" projects, some of which have clearly failed (filled in side channels), but the article was not clear on that.  I'm certain that it's not total expenditures because budgets have been $14-$15 million/year lately, so $36 million would be less than 3 years' budgets at current levels.  I know that the "old" Trinity River Restoration Program alone spent something like $70 million.

My guess is that total expenditures under the Trinity River Restoration Program, old and new, exceed $200 million.

If somebody knows the real numbers, it would be greatly appreciated.  It would be nice to set the record straight so that people know the magnitude of taxpayer money spent on this important program.

Tom Stokely
Water Policy Analyst/Media Contact
California Water Impact Network
V/FAX 530-926-9727