[env-trinity] Trinity River Budget Questions

Martin Trso martintrso at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 3 19:17:08 PST 2011

Hi Everyone,

Seven or eight years ago I was retained by TRRP to independently evalute the
USBOR's erosion- and sediment-control programs in the Grass Valley Creek
(GVC) watershed. I was excited to work on such a program, as it provided a
wonderful opportunity to assess the potential of watershed enhancement and
restoration projects (as well as the state of our knowledge of the
rehabilitation treatments, BMPs, etc.) in central and northern California.

USBOR retained me to provide a compilation and review of the past erosion
and sediment yield programs and treatments, and evaluate their effectiveness
and cost/benefit. This work involved developing 'my own' sediment source
analysis (SSA) for the GVC watershed, and reconciling several different SSAs
which were put together by various agencies and consultants over the past
few decades. Additionally, my scope included providing recommendations to
the Trinity River Restoration Program to prioritize future
sediment-management and GVC watershed rehabilitation actions based on cost
and technical effectiveness, and suggesting the future watershed restoration
work necessary in the upper Trinity River Basin to restore the anadromous
fishery in the Trinity River.

I admit that I was surprised by the very large number, and the associated
large cost, of these GVC watershed programs, some of them starting in the
mid-1970s but majority starting around 1985, and the much, much lower
estimated cost/benefit--in terms of sediment 'saved'--compared to the
specific-program-motivating estimates. My results were presented at a small
symposium:
http://www.fws.gov/arcata/fisheries/reports/tamwg/meeting06_dec_03/05_sedime
nt_symposium_agenda.pdf

I was also surprised by large differences among the various SSAs, both in
terms of the sediment-source types and the magnitudes of their sediment
deliveries.  The SSAs also lacked a spatially-explicit detail.  Some of the
SSAs failed to report on the following major sediment sources: 1) surface
erosion and mass wasting across very large deep-seated landslides; and 2)
recent, unconsolidated valley-floor alluvial deposits.  In no way do I mean
disrespect to the USBOR-funded rehabilitation efforts, especially those by
the local RCD and NRCS, who work very hard, no doubt, on minimizing the
hillslope sediment sources across the affected tributary basins. However, it
must be said that these rehabilitation efforts were primarily motivated by
the various and not-so-accurate/detailed past SSAs. Though I recommended it,
I am not aware if newer and more accurate SSAs were conducted in the
tributary watersheds since 2004.

My report, see the reference below, was not published by BOR, but it is
referenced in these recent reports by Andreas Krause, PE, and David Gaeuman:
http://acwi.gov/sos/pubs/2ndJFIC/Contents/3D_Krause_3_1_10.pdf
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?hl=en&gbv=2&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=1717
2l25156l0l26109l30l25l0l19l19l0l531l2108l0.1.2.1.0.2l6l0&q=cache:TDDfJXPnPcU
J:http://209.207.67.215/Trinity/DocumentLibraryFiles/TM-TRRP-2008-1.pdf+mart
in+trso+grass+valley+creek&ct=clnk

Martin Trso, R.G. 2004. Trinity River Restoration Program: Evaluation of
Grass Valley Creek Watershed Restoration Activities. Technical report
prepared for U.S. Bureau of Reclamation. 88 pages.

Feel free to email me with questions, especially those pertaining to the
costs of the various pre-2004 programs in the GVC watershed. I am sure that
USBOR could also make my report available to the public. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Martin Trso

Martin Trso, PG, CPG, CPESC
Consulting Geomorphologist