[env-trinity] Byron Leydecker's March 21 letter and BOR response

Tom Stokely tstokely at att.net
Tue Dec 6 14:01:35 PST 2011

All,

Just to put into context the issue raised in the recent letter by the Trinity River Guides Association and the California Water Impact Network, there was also a letter penned by Byron Leydecker and signed by C-WIN as well as various TAMWG members and me which was sent to the Interior Secretary on March 21 of this year  Among other things, that letter asked for a moratorium on mainstem restoration projects pending independent scientific review.

A nonresponsive response letter was sent by the Commissioner of Reclamation dated July 29 that completely failed to address the request for a moratorium on mainstem projects.

Byron's letter also included a list of documents that Byron had put into a binder for various agencies and people to review the history of the Trinity River Restoration Program and the numerous unanswered recommendations of the Trinity Adaptive Management Working Group and others. I have included that list below.  I also have most of the documents electronically if anybody would like them.

I am hopeful that the Trinity River Restoration Program will respond favorably that they intend to comply with the implementation plan for the Trinity River Record of Decision to take a break on implementing new mainstem restoration projects until an independent review has been completed. The language regarding taking a break between Phase 1 and Phase 2 can be found at: Page C-8, Appendix C, Final EIS/EIR for Trinity River Mainstem Fishery Restoration, http://www.fws.gov/arcata/fisheries/reports/technical/treis/final/appndx_c.pdf

Also please note that Byron's letter stated that the Trinity ROD called for construction of three side channels, yet as of that date, eleven had been constructed. In reading the Value Engineering Report for Phase 2 projects, I see that many more side channels are planned for construction.

All that is being asked for is to comply with the Trinity River Record of Decision.  There remain numerous problems and issues that don't appear to be getting addressed.

Respectfully,

Tom Stokely
Water Policy Analyst/Media Contact
California Water Impact Network