[env-trinity] DWR/Red Bluff's history/role

Kier Associates kierassociates at suddenlink.net
Thu Apr 19 09:37:08 PDT 2012

All that DWR pride duly noted - and I wince that I so characterized Ed's
situation. It's just that at my age I'm beginning to get too accustomed to
old friends, er, having moved on. Please give Ed my best regards next time
you see him, OK?

And I would so love to see Mr Elko's work product - is it available in
electronic format? If so, plz shoot me a copy.

And, returning to history for just a moment, DWR was created (hmm, 1955 I
believe) to develop the State Water Plan (1957) initially to define the
State Water Project (water bond funded in 1960).

My pt about the original purpose of your office having 'gone south' with
enactment of the CA W&S Rivers Act (1972) is that it was established to
plan/supervise construction of the North Coast elements of the State Water
Project.

Such work would, of course, be reimbursable by SWP contractors.

The relevance of DWR's Red Bluff office to DWR's central SWP mission could
be best measured by the amt of SWP contractor-reimbursable budget that your
office has on its books. I would daresay that nearly all DWR's Red Bluff
office budget is General Fund- and State environmental bond-funded

When DWR sits at the TRRP table it's there to give its best technical
counsel. It certainly isn't representing SWP interests - right ?

'Best,.

Bill Kier