[env-trinity] DWR/Red Bluff's history/role

Anderson, Curtis curtisa at water.ca.gov
Thu Apr 19 13:37:36 PDT 2012

Hi Bill,

No problem about the age thing, Ed would just laugh at the comment.

Here is a link to John's compilation of projects on the Trinity River and Tributaries as a PDF:

ftp://ftpdpla.water.ca.gov/pub/Eng/Trinity/Historical_Projects/

We did have all of this working in an ArcView GIS with spatial locations links at one point, but now it needs some significant work.

I was reviewing a Northern District history book that Linton Brown and others produced for our 25 year anniversary back in 1991.  When Northern District moved to Red Bluff on December 6, 1965 the main programs were:

"planning on the North Coast and in the Upper Sacramento Valley, with the Eel River project formulation being the centerpiece; operating maintaining the Sacramento flood control project and Davis-Grunsky loans and grants"

Yes there was quite a shift after the passage of the wild and scenic rivers act on the North Coast.  We had significant reductions in staff from 1970-1975 due to a reduction in funding from SWP.  Our office went from 113 people in 1966 down to 59 people in 1986.

This shift in focus allowed us to diversify our work, and led to Ed Barnes and others working on behalf of North State Fisheries.  We continue this diversity of work to this day by providing engineering services, flood and watershed work, stream gage information, watermaster service, reservoir investigations, environmental restoration and compliance, water quality assessment, groundwater measurements and management, and land & water use surveys.  (Notice the plug for the work we do)

DWR's Mission is:

To manage the water resources of California in cooperation with other agencies, to benefit the State's people, and to protect, restore, and enhance the natural and human environments.

http://www.water.ca.gov/about/mission.cfm

As you can see, NRO's work on the Trinity is consistent with DWR's Mission.

Our broader focus these days is to help promote and implement Integrated Regional Water Management in California.

To answer your last question specifically, DWR acts in different capacities for the TRRP:

*         On the TMC, the State of California representative is the Secretary of the California Natural Resources Agency.  DWR and DFG are both under this agency, and Agency has delegated their TMC responsibility to DFG and DWR.  Currently DFG is the TMC representative in coordination with DWR (Teresa Connor).  When I was involved in the TMC I saw my charge as working with the TRRP staff, the TAMWG, and the public to implement the Record of Decision in an adaptive management environment, not to implement DWR or SWP policy.  I would however keep DWR and SWP managers aware of issues on the Trinity that could have a broader impacts such as flows and temperatures on the Sacramento River.  The only time (that I can remember) I really represented DWR's SWP interest specifically in regards to the Trinity was when I provided comments to the EIR/EIS for the ROD.  There may have been other times that we represented SWP interests, but hopefully we identified that we were doing so or abstained from voting.

*         When DWR is under contract to provide services for the TRRP (surveying, site design, environmental permitting, etc), we work solely for the TRRP.

The short answer to your question is yes, we give the best technical counsel we can for the TRRP.

Take Care,
Curtis