[env-trinity] Two letters on Klamath Dam removal

Tom Stokely tstokely at att.net
Mon Jun 25 08:41:19 PDT 2012

Paul R. Houser: Dam removal holds risks, uncertainties
Paul R. Houser, Redding Record Searchlight
After I questioned the accuracy of science reporting and summary documents related to the Klamath Secretarial Decision, I faced systematic reprisal and my job as the Bureau of Reclamation's science advisor was terminated. Subsequently, I filed a scientific integrity allegation, and was invited to speak publicly about it in May. I was confronted with a very wide range of questions, where I carefully offered my opinion or relevant information. Dennis Lynch of the U.S. Geological Survey recently questioned some of this information ("Klamath science process is solid," June 11). Below I summarize the rationale for my comments, and offer some additional perspective. (Full text available at prhouser.com/houser/?p=830).

Patrick Higgins: Settlements sidestep Klamath's real problems
Patrick Higgins, Redding Record Searchlight
The June 11 "Speak Your Piece," "Klamath science process is solid" by lead federal scientist Dennis Lynch, was almost pure Orwellian double-speak, which is the hallmark of the entire Klamath dam removal environmental review process. Lynch discredited arguments against dam removal recently advanced by whistle-blower Paul Houser, but did not refute Houser's original allegations of the program's misrepresentation of science.