[env-trinity] Mike Elster catches new state record inland king salmon at Trinity Lake

Dan Bacher danielbacher at fishsniffer.com
Fri Aug 24 15:40:24 PDT 2012

  http://www.fishsniffer.com/reports/details/august-22-2012-mike-
elster-bags-new-state-record-inland-chinook/

MIKE ELSTER BAGS NEW STATE RECORD INLAND CHINOOK

Written By: Dan Bacher, August 22, 2012

Mike Elster of Mike's Fishing Guide Service set a new pending
California landlocked king salmon record when he landed an 11.2-pound
fish at Trinity Lake on August 13.

His huge fish eclipses the existing inland Chinook record of 9
pounds, 9 ounces set by Leroy Mohr of Trinity Center at Trinity Lake
on November 26, 2011.
Elster took the lunker to the Department of Fish and Game office in
Redding to be weighed, measured and examined. The fish measured 27½
inches long and had an 18½-inch girth.

"Jude, my wife and I hit Trinity Lake yesterday morning and weren’t
in the water but 35 to 40 minutes and I got this monster hit,”
recalled Elster in an email. “He made my downrigger bounce and I
thought I might have drug the bottom, but when I checked my depth we
were in 220 feet of water and I was only fishing at 80 feet.”

"First, he crossed over my stacked rod and got tangled with the Apex
I had out, fortunately it wasn’t bad and I was able to cut it off my
line," Elster stated.  "While we were messing with the tangle, the
fish made a lap around my downrigger cable.  I raised the downrigger
and figured out how to thread my rod through the 'rigger and around
the cable and was able to free it.”

Elster continued, "The fight was on, and when I got him to the
surface I was excited. Finally, I got him close enough and Jude did a
great job getting him in the net, but I had to drop the rod and take
over the net because she couldn’t lift it in the boat."

Elster hooked the fish while using a “cop car” Apex lure. It took
him around 20 minutes to land the fish on his Okuma 7 foot guide
special rod, outfitted with an Abu Garcia 4600 level wind reel
spooled with 10 lb. Maxima Ultra Green line. Elster is considering
getting his trophy mounted.

“We caught two small kokanee that day, in addition to the big
king,” noted Elster. “The kokanee and king fishing is hit and miss
at Trinity now, but I expect the fishing to pick up after Labor Day.”

Elster guides on Trinity, Shasta and Whiskeytown lakes. For more
information, contact him at (916) 215-6330 or
Mikesfishingguideservice.com.