[env-trinity] Bureau extends public comment period for Shasta Dam raise proposal

Dan Bacher danielbacher at fishsniffer.com
Mon Dec 10 17:52:30 PST 2012

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/12/09/1168576/-Bureau-extends-
public-comment-period-for-Shasta-Dam-raise-proposal

"An 18.5 foot dam raise would damage or flood about 40 of our sacred
sites, and permanently submerge our Coming of Age ceremony site,"
said Caleen Sisk, Chief and Spiritual Leader of the Winnemem Wintu
Tribe. "Help our efforts to protecting sacred sites, clean rivers and
healthy salmon runs! Tell them you support the protection of Winnemem
sacred sites and our freedom of religion!"

Photo of Shasta Dam courtesy of Bureau of Reclamation.

800_c214-200-10007.jpg
original image ( 1280x1600)

Bureau extends public comment period for Shasta Dam raise proposal

by Dan Bacher

The U.S. Bureau of Reclamation announced Friday an extension of the
comment period for the Draft Feasibility Report on the "Shasta Lake
Water Resources Investigation," the controversial plan to raise
Shasta Dam to increase the reservoir's capacity, to Monday, January
28. The public comment period was originally scheduled to end on
Friday, December 28.

"Reclamation initially released the Draft Feasibility Report in
February 2012," according to Pete Lucero, Bureau spokesman. "Any
additional comments from interested individuals, agencies and
organizations will be accepted through January 28. All comments
received will be considered as we complete the remaining engineering,
environmental, economic, and financial studies and related reports."

The raising of Shasta Dam is opposed by the Winnemem Wintu Tribe,
fishing organizations, conservation groups and environmental justice
advocates for a multitude of reasons. It would flood many of the
Tribe's remaining sacred ceremonial sites on the McCloud River that
weren't already flooded by Shasta Dam.

The dam expansion project, in tandem with the Bay Delta Conservation
Plan (BDCP) to build to build the peripheral tunnels, would also
hasten the extinction of Central Valley salmon, steelhead, Delta
smelt, longfin smelt, green sturgeon and other fish species.

The announcement took place just one day after it was revealed that
the Metropolitan Water District (MWD) of Southern California will
vote December 11 on a proposal including the raising of Shasta Dam as
a "state legislative action priority." (http://www.dailykos.com/story/
2012/12/05/1167557/--MWD-to-vote-on-support-for-legislative-action-to-
raise-Shasta-Dam)

The MWD staff recommends support for "administrative/legislative
actions to remove existing prohibition for state funding to raise
Shasta Dam."

See page 3 of the MWD document at: http://mwdh2o.granicus.com/
MetaViewer.php?view_id=12&event_id=208&meta_id=66253

"An 18.5 foot dam raise would damage or flood about 40 of our sacred
sites, and permanently submerge our Coming of Age ceremony site,"
said Caleen Sisk, Chief and Spiritual Leader of the Winnemem Wintu
Tribe. "Help our efforts to protecting sacred sites, clean rivers and
healthy salmon runs! Tell them you support the protection of Winnemem
sacred sites and our freedom of religion!"

What can you do?

First, contact MWD Executive Officer Jeff Kightlinger, (213) 217-6139
and OfficeoftheGeneralManager2 [at] mwdh2o.com, indicating your
opposition to the Shasta Dam expansion.

Second, send your written comments regarding the Bureau's proposal to
raise Shasta Dam via email to BOR-MPR-SLWRI [at] usbr.gov or by mail
to the address below. The Draft Feasibility Report is available on
Reclamation’s website at http://www.usbr.gov/mp/slwri/index.html.

Katrina Chow, Project Manager
Bureau of Reclamation
2800 Cottage Way, MP-720
Sacramento, CA 95825-1893

For questions, contact Katrina Chow at 916-978-5067 or fax your
request to 916-978-5094. To request an electronic copy of the draft
documents, contact Louis Moore at 916-978-5106 (TTY 916-978-5608) or
by email at wmoore [at] usbr.gov.

Copies of the documents may also be viewed at Reclamation’s Regional
Library, 2800 Cottage Way, Sacramento, by calling 916-978-5593.

For additional information about the "Shasta Lake Water Resources
Investigation," please visit http://www.usbr.gov/mp/slwri/index.html.

For more information about the Winnemem Wintu Tribe, go to: http://
www.winnememwintu.us