[env-trinity] Davis Enterprise on "Reps pick fight with Brown over delta tunnels"

Deirdre Des Jardins campaign at mbaysav.org
Fri May 31 16:38:36 PDT 2013

I posted this reply to the op ed:

    Silicon Valley needs a reliable water supply, but BDCP may not be
    the answer.

    We're currently seeing significant drying in the Colorado River
    basin. No state would invest $25 billion in a massive new diversion
    on the Colorado River, expecting to increase the reliability of
    their water supply.

    Computer modelling by independent researchers suggests that by the
    time BDCP is completed, we could see a similar pattern of reduced
    runoff in the Sacramento River basin. The result could be a series
    of extended droughts similar to the dust bowl years of 1923-34.

    DWR won't even release the projected deliveries from BDCP under the
    drier climate change scenarios. But they could be significantly less
    than those in the BDCP economic analysis.

    Planning for the water supply for 19 million people demands real
    science, not "salad bowl" science that picks and chooses the effects
    of climate change.

Deirdre Des Jardins
California Water Research