[env-trinity] Redding.com: Tribes, Pacificorp at odds over algae in Klama...

FISH1IFR at aol.com FISH1IFR at aol.com
Sat Jun 15 14:33:08 PDT 2013

Colleagues....

Please do NOT repost the Hoopa Valley Tribe's anti-algaecide Petition
below. Anyone considering signing it should read it very carefully and  also
understand that the Petition is to some degree merely a ruse perpetuated by  an
employee of the Hoopa Valley Tribe to gather opposition against the Klamath
 Settlement Agreements. In that respect, the Petition is somewhat of a
Trojan  Horse, cleverly riding the algaecide issue for very different purposes,
and has  drifted far from the point of opposing the use of algaecides in the
river.

The Petition is, in fact, highly deceptive!

Unfortunately, the Petition is far more about the Hoopa Valley Tribe's
efforts to gather support for its unique position in opposition to the  Klamath
Settlement Agreements than it is about the algaecide issue. The  Petition
insists, for instance, that it is "time for PacifiCorps to move forward  with
needed Clean Water Act certification" in its pending Application before the
 California State Water Board. What the Hoopa Valley Tribe does not tell
you,  though, is that the current Clean Water Act Section 401 Certification
Application is NOT FOR DAM REMOVAL, it is for FULL DAM RELICENSING. And this
Application has nothing whatsoever to do with the experimental use of
algaecides -- which the Regional Water Board approved.

Moving even one more step forward toward Klamath dam relicensing makes no
sense, given that PacifiCorp and nearly every other Klamath Basin major
stakeholder (except the Hoopa Valley Tribe) is working diligently through  the
Klamath Settlement Agreements to remove these dams by 2020, not to relicense
 them! The pending 401 Relicensing Application process is suspended while
Settlement Agreement efforts toward dam removal are being worked on. Forcing
 PacifiCorp and the Water Board to instead move forward with the current
401  Certification process for relicensing is merely a devious way to try to
sabotage  the KIamath Settlement Agreement, which the Hoopa Valley Tribe has
short-sightedly pledge itself to doing. The end result of such a process
will  only be years of tangled and expensive litigation, and may even be
partial  or total relicensing!

In short, this current Petition is highly deceptive, only  peripherally
about algaecides, is based on a number of false  assumptions, and unfortunately
has little to do, in the body of the  Petition, with what it is purported
to be all about.

Most people in the basin, including myself, strongly oppose more use of
algaecides in the river and would sign a Petition that was only about  that
issue in a heartbeat. But deceptively using this one "hot-button issue" as  a
ruse to sabotage a Settlement Agreement that the Yurok Tribe, Karuk Tribe,
Klamath Tribes, Humboldt County and more than 40 other major Klamath Basin
stakeholder groups have agreed to -- and which represents the most certain
way  to get these four dams down within the shortest period of time -- does
everyone a great disservice!   Its authors should be ashamed of  themselves!

Glen H. Spain, NW  Regional Director
Pacific Coast Federation of Fishermen's Associations  (PCFFA)
PO Box 11170, Eugene, OR 97440-3370
O:(541)689-2000 --  Fax:(541)689-2500
Email: fish1ifr at aol.com
Home Page: _www.pcffa.org_ (http://www.pcffa.org/)

In a message dated 6/14/2013 12:17:53 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,