[env-trinity] Redding.com: Tribes, Pacificorp at odds over algae in Klama...

Regina Chichizola hooparivers at gmail.com
Sun Jun 16 11:04:24 PDT 2013

I just wanted to say this petition goes to PacifiCorp and is cced to the
water board. It says the KHSA supporters do not agree with the algaecides
either and are trying to stop it also. People or media with questions about
this have also been directed to supporters of the KHSA to show the effort
is from both supports and non-supports of the agreement. There has been no
insulting or exclusion of anyone.

This action has not gone through scientific or public analysis and urging
people not to comment is not responsible.   Furthermore the 401 cert needs
to happen for dam removal to proceed regardless of how, and it is the only
Clean Water Act process we have around the dams and toxic algae. A 401 and
402 permit is required to remove dams (I have copies of other dams dam
removal 401 certs, if anyone wants to see them), takes along time to
process, will show dam removal is the only possible option to address Clean
Water Act violations in this case. The CEQA process can begin now
regardless of how the dams come down and needs to address alternatives.

 As for the algaecide permit from the regional water board last year, the
board staff is the first to admit they had no time to provide real
comments, or try to change the action, and they were not notified of
timing. The coverage is not for this action but coverage under an outdated
general permit that is being updated currently to address the lack of
public involvement, and the water board was never sure should apply in this
case due to health concerns and uncertainty about the effect of killing the
algae on water quality.  The permit and water quality standards were most
likely violated last year and the water board is considering blocking this
action so comments really help.

Personally, I have gone out of my way to show Clean Water action on this
issue helps all involved, and the conspiracy theories presented are not
truthful. The Clean Water Act and public health notifications are not
voluntary and should not be political.

Thank you,
Regina