[env-trinity] Clear Connections of KHSA/KBRA and Klamath Toxic Algae Problem

Patrick Higgins phiggins at humboldt1.com
Mon Jun 17 07:15:12 PDT 2013

Hi Glen,

See you are still pushing the Klamath Settlement "party line", but
Nature may expose major flaws in the agreement this year. I am attaching
two lower Klamath River flow charts from Iron Gate Dam that reflect the
Klamath Basin Restoration Agreement (KBRA).  The first is from October
2012 to the present and the second from March 1 to present with the 52
year average reflecting post-Iron Gate construction historic data.  The
flat lining far below the recent average to fill Upper Klamath Lake as a
priority for Klamath Basin Water Users (KBWU) security is slowing the
transit time of water through the Klamath Hydroelectric Project (KHP)
reservoirs and thus heightening the risk of toxic algae.  There is a
clear connection of the Klamath Settlement to the flow regime and;
therefore, the toxic algae problem.

Similar flow conditions prompted an early outbreak and PacifiCorp's
strident "test" spraying of Microcystis blooms last July, which they did
without a 401 permit.  PCorp said they had blanket coverage under the
Klamath Hydropower Settlement Agreement (KHSA) and didn't need Clean
Water Act clearance from the North Coast Regional Water Quality Control
Board (NCRWQCB).  It would have been difficult for the NCRWQCB staff to
justify spraying algicides because such action is known to cause release
of toxins as cell walls break down.  Welcome to the Brave New World of
the Klamath Settlement, where the corporation has license to do whatever
it wants.

Also Glen, the spring "pulse flows" in the KBRA that were supposed to be
worked out in the Drought Plan were never defined and didn't happen this
year.  Last year there was a big fanfare about the pulse flow of 5000
cfs and what a great thing the KBRA was.  No pulse flow this year after
flat-lining all winter means extreme risk of and outbreak of the deadly
fish disease Ceratomyxa shasta below the dams because of benthic algae
(Cladophera) build up, which is accompanied by high populations of an
intermediate host polychaete (Manayunkia speciosa).  As the Klamath
River drops and warms, millions of C shasta spores will likely be
released, jeopardizing what should be a huge wave of juvenile Chinook.
By the way, the flow levels depart dramatically from the National Marine
Fisheries Service's Biological Opinion for coho salmon. In addition, the
last of Tule Lake suckers will be shipped to Upper Klamath Lake this
year as part of Bureau of Reclamation Klamath Project Operations.
Welcome to the Brave New World of the KBRA where we line the bird cage
with the Endangered Species Act (and CESA).

Nature bats last Glen, and the flows of the Klamath River need to go
back more toward their historic norm and we need to reclaim marshes to
restore the ecological balance and get the ecosystem service of clean
water.  Water quality is actually more important than flow and the
strangle hold the KBWU have on the Refuges under the KBRA is blocking
their use for water storage and filtration, which is killing the river.

By the way, please quit misrepresenting the State Water Resources
Control Board 401 process.  The toxic conditions within the KHP
reservoirs would prevent them from issuing a 401 Certification, which
along with the fish ladders mandated by NMFS, essentially form a
checkmate for PacifiCorp on their license.  Time to go back to FERC.

Sincerely,

Pat Higgins

PS: By the way, would love to have a refereed public debate on this
sometime.  Call me if you'd like to arrange.

Patrick Higgins
Consulting Fisheries Biologist
791 Eighth Street, Suite A
Arcata, CA 95521