[env-trinity] Fwd: 2013 Klamath River Juvenile Chinook Salmon Health Monitoring Update

Tom Stokely tstokely at att.net
Wed Jun 26 18:46:24 PDT 2013

From: Hetrick, Nick [mailto:nick_hetrick at fws.gov]
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2013 2:33 PM
Subject: 2013 Klamath River Juvenile Chinook Salmon Health Monitoring Update

The California-Nevada Fish Health Center is leading a collaborative effort involving agencies and tribes to monitor the incidence of Ceratomyxa shasta and Parvicapsula minibicornis infection in juvenile Chinook salmon in the Klamath River. For the 2013 season, juvenile Chinook salmon are being collected within major hydraulic reaches of the Klamath River downstream of Iron Gate Dam by biologists with the Karuk Tribe, Yurok Tribe, and the Arcata Fish and Wildlife Office of the US Fish and Wildlife Service. The Service's CA-NV Fish Health Center provides project oversight and laboratory support and analyses for the project.

Results from QPCR testing of juvenile Chinook salmon (naturals) collected from 28 March through 16 May for the Shasta to Scott reach, and from 9 April through 14 May for the Scott to Salmon reach are can be downloaded from the following site: http://www.fws.gov/arcata/fisheries/projectUpdates.html.    Analyses of subsequent sample collections are pending and will be included in the next project update and in the Fish Health Center's annual project report.

We also want to acknowledge the collaborative spirit that has gone into this monitoring program, which is being jointly funded by Reclamation's Klamath Falls Area Office and the Service's Arcata Fish and Wildlife Office and CA/NEV Fish Heath Center. We also want to extend our thanks to the CA Department of Fish and Wildlife for their continued support of this effort and to Kim True of the Service's CA/NV Fish Health Lab for sharing these preliminary data with us.   nicholas j

--
Nicholas J. Hetrick
Fish Program Lead