[env-trinity] Salmon Fires Keeping Lower Klamath River cooler

Tom Stokely tstokely at att.net
Thu Aug 15 16:30:01 PDT 2013

Please check out the latest Klamath Fish Health Assessment teleconference notes for August 15 at:

http://kbmp.net/collaboration/kfhat

The alert is still yellow but the Salmon River fires are keeping river temperatures lower than normal.

I lived in Hayfork during the 1987 fire siege.  Air temperatures dropped over 20 degrees F, creating a "nuclear winter" scenario.  The small creeks came up with the cooler weather and a fish kill was avoided in the small stream I lived on.

What happens if they get the fires out?

Tom Stokely
Water Policy Analyst/Media Contact
California Water Impact Network