[env-trinity] Folsom Lake and American River threatened by twin tunnels plan

Dan Bacher danielbacher at fishsniffer.com
Tue Nov 5 09:40:01 PST 2013

https://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2013/11/05/18746015.php

Folsom Lake hosts a naturally spawning king salmon population, as
well as abundant populations of spotted, largemouth and smallmouth
bass, rainbow trout and channel catfish. The American River below the
dam hosts a unique urban fishery for king salmon, steelhead, striped
bass, American shad and other species that would be devastated if the
peripheral tunnels are built.

Sammy Yoro, Jr. of Watsonville holds up two hatchery winter-run
steelhead typical of those that ascend the American River every year.
Photo by Dan Bacher.

800_img_1527.jpg
original image ( 2304x3456)

Folsom Lake and American River threatened by twin tunnels plan

by Dan Bacher

Monday, November 4 was a big day for opponents of Governor Jerry
Brown's Bay Delta Conservation Plan (BDCP) to build the peripheral
tunnels.

Placer County officials held a press conference on the bed of Folsom
Lake criticizing the unpopular plan at the same time that nine
elected leaders, a top economist, and water experts told "The Real
Delta Story at the University of the Pacific in Stockton, addressing
the impacts of the proposed water export tunnels on the region.

On the same day, Nimbus Fish Hatchery officials also opened the fish
ladder so the first batch of fall run Chinook salmon on the American
River could enter the facility to be spawned.

The Placer County leaders criticized the current BDCP and urged state
leaders to modify it so it "doesn’t just benefit one part of the
state," according to Placer County on-line. http://
placercountyonline.com/2013/placer-leaders-highlight-dangers-bay-
delta-conservation-plan-sacramento-region/

Officials fear the plan will result in the export of more Folsom Lake
water to corporate agribusiness interests on the west side of the San
Joaquin Valley, leaving the Sacramento area with a virtually empty
Folsom Lake.

“We need a strategy for the entire state, a plan that benefits
everyone so that all Californians can prosper,” said Assemblywoman
Beth Gaines, R-Rocklin at the press conference.

“Unfortunately the reliable water supplies our region has come to
know are in jeopardy," noted Gaines. “In its current form, the Bay
Delta Conservation Plan shows no plan to address how the state will
prevent Folsom Lake from reaching extreme low levels.”

Roseville Mayor Susan Rohan, Placer County Supervisor Kirk Uhler,
Roseville Vice Mayor Carol Garcia, Placer County Water Agency
Directors Gray Allen and Robert Dugan and officials from the San Juan
Water District joined Gaines in criticizing the tunnel plan.

For the “Sake of the Lake” is a regional effort co‐founded by
the City of Roseville and San Juan Water District, through the
partnership dubbed “Protect Our Folsom Water,” to “bring to
light the importance of Folsom Lake to the region.”

The news conference kicked off a week of outreach efforts by the
group including: partnerships with local school districts,
educational programs and afterschool centers to educate children
about the importance of the lake; electronic and social media
outreach to target regional water users, and; support from business
owners who rely on water supplies for the success of their businesses.

The state's most recent draft of the BDCP shows the lake will drop
to ”dead pool, a virtual dry lake to water providers and at least
once every ten years due to climate change,” the group said.

A depleted Folsom Lake will also threaten king salmon and steelhead
populations that need abundant, cold water from Folsom Lake to survive.

“What the BDCP doesn't show, however, is how the state will work to
prevent this from happening - something they say they'll address,”
according to the group.

"We need state leaders to address this issue with a sound operational
plan that provides water supply reliability for the entire state,"
noted Roseville Mayor Susan Rohan, "we cannot stay silent on this
issue until we have solid assurances that our region's water supply
will not be compromised. We are eager to work with the Governor and
state officials to develop solutions to these complex water
challenges and provide certainty that the water supply needs of all
Californians will be met."

“Folsom Lake directly supplies water to over half‐a‐million
people and serves another half‐million people as its water supplies
travel down the American River. It's a recreational beacon to the
region and the second most visited park in the state parks system.
The lake is also a driver of the Sacramento economy. Without its
reliable water supplies development, existing industries and
businesses will be crippled,” according to Protect Our Folsom Water.

Folsom Lake hosts a naturally spawning king salmon fishery, as well
as abundant populations of spotted, largemouth and smallmouth bass,
rainbow trout and channel catfish. The American River below the dam
hosts a unique urban fishery for king salmon, steelhead, striped
bass, American shad and other species that would be devastated if the
peripheral tunnels are built.

Organizations signing letters or resolutions of support for the
effort to prevent more Folsom Lake water from being exported south
include the County of Sacramento, Sacramento Suburban Water District,
Sacramento Metro Chamber, Sacramento Convention and Visitors Bureau
and the Regional Water Authority. A complete list of supporters is
available on the group's website, ProtectOurFolsomWater.com.

"This isn't just about the BDCP," added Gaines. "This is about a
smart solution to a problem that is all too familiar to our state:
getting water to those who need it without hurting those who have it.
All of California deserves reliable access to water supplies. But the
state has to develop a plan to make sure one region won't suffer to
benefit another."

To learn more, visit ProtectOurFolsomWater.com and sign up to take
the pledge to protect Folsom Lake and American River water supplies
from the construction of the twin tunnels.

Coalition Members Tell The Real Delta Story

On the same day, nine elected leaders, a top economist, and water
experts told The Real Delta Story on Monday, Nov. 4, at the
University of the Pacific in Stockton, addressing the impacts of the
proposed water export tunnels on the region.

A little more than a month before the Brown Administration releases
its water export plan, the experts addressed its impacts on water
quality, agriculture, fisheries, farming and the ecosystem of the Delta.

Speakers included John Herrick, attorney and water expert; Dr. Jeff
Michael, University of the Pacific Economist; Barbara Barrigan-
Parilla, Restore the Delta Executive Director; Larry Ruhstaller, San
Joaquin County Supervisor (District 2) and Chair of the Delta
Protection Commission; Ken Vogel, San Joaquin County Supervisor
(District 4) and Chair of the Delta Conservancy; Rogene Reynolds,
Farmer in the South Delta.

Stockton City Councilmember Kathy Miller (District 2) moderated a
panel of legislators who represent the heart of the Delta including:
State Senator Lois Wolk (District 3); Senator Cathleen Galgiani
(District 5); Assembly Member Susan Eggman (District 13); Assembly
Member Jim L. Frazier, Jr. (District 11); Assembly Member Kristin M.
Olsen (District 12); Assembly Member Mariko Yamada (District 4).

"We certainly have the science and the facts on our side," said state
Sen. Lois Wolk, D-Davis, one of the state Legislature's most
outspoken Delta defenders, according to the Stockton Record. "We have
the cost and financing and economics on our side. What we're really
going to need to do is form alliances and reach out and persuade
others. Our success will be dependent on that." (http://
www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20131105/A_NEWS/311050320)

The Brown administration continues to push the $54.1 billion
peripheral boondoggle even when all of the science indicates that the
construction of the tunnels would hasten the extinction of the
Central Valley Chinook salmon, steelhead, Delta smelt, longfin smelt,
green sturgeon and other species while imperiling salmon and
steelhead populations on the Trinity and Klamath rivers. The tunnel
will deliver massive quantities of water to corporate agribusiness
interests irrigating drainage-impaired, selenium-laced land on the
west side of the San Joaquin Valley.

For more information and action alerts, go to http://
www.restorethedelta.com