[env-trinity] Trinity River spawn survey update November 4 to 8

Chamberlain, Charles charles_chamberlain at fws.gov
Fri Nov 8 15:21:29 PST 2013

Hi all,
Our latest in-season report from the Trinity River Salmon Spawning Survey
is available from the Fisheries web page of the Arcata Fish and Wildlife
Office:
http://www.fws.gov/arcata/fisheries

Our crews this week mapped the locations of 303 redds and 423 carcasses.
 The figure below is clipped from our report available at the link above.
[image: Inline image 1]

*Fun fact for the week...*
Did you know….  A salmon’s ability to ascend over a waterfall or cascade is
influenced by the height and angle of the fall, the shape and depth of the
pool below, conditions in the ‘landing area’, and the fitness of the fish.
 Under the most favorable conditions the fittest of Coho Salmon can leap
just over 7 ft and Chinook Salmon just under 8 ft.  Steelhead are our real
anadromous athletes with leaps of up to 11 feet!  Another of our anadromous
stars, the Pacific Lamprey, uses an entirely different strategy to ascend
barriers.  A lamprey holds onto a surface with its mouth, compresses its
body, and springs forward to gain purchase upstream and inch its way up and
over a fall.  It’s worth a look here!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkhPN09msg4

Thanks to all you vets out there!
Talk to you next week,
Charlie

Charles Chamberlain
Supervisory Fish Biologist
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Arcata Fish & Wildlife Office
1655 Heindon Road
Arcata, CA 95521

Charles_Chamberlain at fws.gov
Phone: (707) 825-5110    Fax: (707) 822-8411
www.fws.gov/arcata/fisheries