[env-trinity] Trinity River spawn survey update November 11 to 15

Chamberlain, Charles charles_chamberlain at fws.gov
Mon Nov 18 09:47:18 PST 2013

Trinity River enthusiasts,
Our latest in-season report from the Trinity River Salmon Spawning Survey
is available from the Fisheries web page of the Arcata Fish and Wildlife
Office:
http://www.fws.gov/arcata/fisheries

Spawning activity this year continues a slow pace.  Our crews last week
mapped the locations of 240 redds and 488 carcasses.  The figure below is
clipped from our report available at the link above.

[image: Inline image 2]

Thankfully there is FINALLY some moisture on the way.  We're supposed to
get a pretty good storm tonight through Wednesday.  I hope this is the
first of many!

*Fun fact for the week...*
Did you know…. Salmon can play a large role in the morphology of streams
they spawn in.  On a single large well-used spawning riffle, female salmon
collectively turn over several tons of gravels in the process of
constructing their redds.  This activity not only moves gravel downstream,
but winnows fines from the substrate, loosens up gravel and cobble that may
otherwise be tightly bound, and adds topography to a formerly smooth
surface – all features that will increase incubation and emergence success
of the eggs and fry.  These characteristics also result in increased
transport of materials downstream, enough so that in some high density
spawning streams, sediment transport attributable to spawning activity
rivals or exceeds that of what would transport from floods alone!

Check in with you next week,
Charlie

Charles Chamberlain
Supervisory Fish Biologist
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Arcata Fish & Wildlife Office
1655 Heindon Road
Arcata, CA 95521

Charles_Chamberlain at fws.gov
Phone: (707) 825-5110    Fax: (707) 822-8411
www.fws.gov/arcata/fisheries