[env-trinity] Fw: News Release: US Fish and Wildlife Service Welcomes Bruce Bingham to Arcata FWO

Tom Stokely tstokely at att.net
Fri Nov 22 15:54:29 PST 2013

Arcata Fish and Wildlife Office Welcomes New Field Supervisor
Arcata, Calif. –- Bruce Bingham has been selected to lead the Arcata Fish and Wildlife Office, one of the largest U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service offices in California.

As the new Field Supervisor, Bingham will oversee a high-profile office that is engaged in some of the most complex and controversial wildlife conservation issues in California and the nation.  Natural resource issues in the Arcata Fish and Wildlife Office are complex, and influence the entire Klamath River Basin from the headwaters to the mouth of the river, and affect national policy as well as agricultural, industrial, environmental, economic and political interests at the national level.
 Bingham will oversee conservation programs with local landowners and conservation partners including being actively engaged in the Trinity River restoration program. He will oversee the administration of the Endangered Species Act for the Arcata FWO and direct the Service’s efforts related to the implementation of the Northwest Forest Plan in the Six Riversand Mendocino National Forests.
Bingham comes to the Arcata Fish and Wildlife Office from Fort Collins, Colo., where he was the Chief of the National Park Service's Inventory and Monitoring Division – a program of more than 400 employees monitoring the condition of natural resources in national parks across the country.
Bingham is no stranger to the conservation challenges of California and issues impacting the Pacific Northwest. He started his career in 1984 with the U.S. Forest Service “Old-growth Research and Development Program” and spent 15 years as a vegetation ecologist with the wildlife habitat interactions research work unit at the Redwood Sciences Laboratory in Arcata.  Leaving Arcata in 1999, Bingham took a brief assignment with the U.S. Forest Service Washington Office and then served as a program manager for the interagency monitoring program for the Northwest Forest Plan in Portland, Ore.
An author of numerous scientific and technical papers on forest ecology, Bingham brings nearly 30 years of experience in the federal service to his position at the Arcata FWO. Bingham completed his undergraduate work at California State University, Fresno and earned his master’s degree at Humboldt State University with a thesis on redwood forest ecology.

“It’s great to be back in Arcata working on challenging wildlife conservation issues across the diverse landscapes in this part of California,” said Bingham.  “We have a great staff and very capable conservation partners within our community and from the local Tribes. I look forward to our collaboration as we pursue the conservation mission of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.”

Bingham started as Field Supervisor on November 12, 2013.