[env-trinity] Winter Steelhead, Fly Fishing Schools & Special Packages

Indian Creek Lodge indiancreeklodge at wildblue.net
Tue Jan 28 16:08:50 PST 2014

Having trouble viewing this email?
Click here
http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?ca=4c056848-14ae-4d12-88cd-d41373c3f920&c=6751e380-7baf-11e3-b85c-d4ae52754db0&ch=67efd130-7baf-11e3-b8d2-d4ae52754db0
Hi, just a reminder that you're receiving this email because you have expressed
an interest in Indian Creek Lodge. Don't forget to add indiancreeklodge at wildblue.net
to your address book so we'll be sure to land in your inbox! You may unsubscribe
http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=un&m=001IoY6zK3HhVTPYY5IRtChAg%3D%3D&ch=67efd130-7baf-11e3-b8d2-d4ae52754db0&ca=4c056848-14ae-4d12-88cd-d41373c3f920
if you no longer wish to receive our emails.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

January 28, 2014
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We wish we could say the Lodge looks like this right now, but alas we are still
praying for rain and snow. Meanwhile steelhead fishing is pretty darn good. John's
Fishing Report is at the bottom of this column, but before skipping down please
take a minute to read about the Fly Fishing Schools coming up this spring as well
as the Special Packages available through the Lodge. For a chance to win a package
that includes a drift boat day, lodging, and dinner drop by our booth at the Pleasanton
Fly Fishing Show, Alameda County Fairgrounds, February 21-23.

THE FLY SHOP'S SIGNATURE TWO DAY FLY FISHING SCHOOL
April 11-13 the experts from The Fly Shop in Redding will hold their annual, all-inclusive
two day school at the Lodge. This top-notched comprehensive school gives both beginners
and intermediate anglers an in-depth look at all facets of fly fishing. Excellent
classroom sessions featuring The Fly Shop's exclusive curriculum are combined with
on-the-water practice on the Trinity where expert guides and casting instructors
 help the students learn and improve skills. A low teacher-student ratio ensures
 plenty of individual time and attention for each student in a comfortable, relaxed
atmosphere.
Limited space available. To enroll or for more information use thislink [http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001BPhim_B2W4hNkJrbcXVNx29oBRO8j47TYLwW1B298izCa8sxxEJ1XIJA4TS5jrQr40-AvInbhc-0qpoqEmMJAPUKNW89ghVqAIqakN5jaYZYwGNL1HOZ4eMHbdfJWs1JT0ozIuoAt4i3TnrLq72YaShtmoIA0lt4wMtBMdOaCyi0bkB8CHNudig1h8Id50X-0ZescToDBu4aNdA4vNW2Zw==&c=-6J-wczZ39jaZx5iMCQ8geKbKmht6dcY-44JqxqpgjLu-oag4Y0IzA==&ch=Nj9JybIgUAUzmtM699Fd2EwFMBWqRBWwL5SX7RbS6SATaMP6UER6jg==]
or call Kara at The Fly Shop, 530 222 3555.

. . . AND ANOTHER SCHOOL IS PLANNED WITH SPOUSES IN MIND

Cliff Sullivan, who runs the fly fishing section at the big BassPro store in Tracy,
is starting a new fly fishing school here at the Lodge with the inaugural event
March 28-30 this year. Cliff is a well known FFF certified Master Instructor and
 Master Fly Tier, and a pretty darn good chef as well. If you are interested in
a good, fun, reasonably priced two day fly fishing school (Friday afternoon to Sunday
afternoon-all meals and equipment included) with excellent classroom instruction
 in small classes, and plenty of real fishing time on the water, give us a call.
 The cost is $650 per person and only $175 more for a tag-along roommate who just
wants to come up to a beautiful place and enjoy the good food and camaraderie. Available
only through Indian Creek Lodge. Limited availability. Call for details and reservations.

OUR POPULAR TWO DAY DRIFT, DINE AND STAY PACKAGE FOR TWO IS STILL AVAILABLE for
$950*

Two full guided drift boat days of fishing, two nights' accommodations for two,
and $100 in dinner vouchers for LaGrange Café in Weaverville all for only $950*
available on non-holiday weekdays. Let us know your dates and we will let you know
which guide is available before you book. 50% deposit is required on booking; payments
by check or cash only. Taxes included; gratuities and shuttle costs not included.

AN UNBELIEVABLY INEXPENSIVE "LEARN TO FISH" PACKAGE

Between March 20 and April 25, two full drift boat days for two anglers with local
guides Ron Purl (Trinity River Drifters) or Todd LeBoeuf (Tiger T's) plus two nights'
lodging for only $650*. That's not a typo--$650*! This package is designed for kids
and newer anglers to learn to fish (either spinning or fly fishing) when there are
lots of fish to catch.  In mid-March thousands of yearling steelhead and coho (average
8" to 10" inches) are released from the Trinity River Hatchery.  These little guys
can be great fun for any experience level, and they make the big browns very aggressive.
Beginners can easily catch the little ones, and there's always a chance of hooking
up with a winter run steelhead or an enormous brown like this 16 pound hog John
Schmidt caught near the Lodge fishing with Ron Purl in March 2012. All tackle is
 included. Come on up and enjoy springtime fishing, wild life, bird watching or
photography on the beautiful Wild and Scenic Trinity River.

SOME FEEL GOOD THINGS

In addition to hosting Casting for Recovery and Wounded Warriors (see blurbs in
right column Upcoming Events) we also have the pleasure of hosting Helping Hands,
an innovative program put together by local therapist Scott LaFein. 8th and 9th
graders will work in teams assembling artificial hands to be shipped to amputee
war victims all over the world. In packaging the prostheses the kids will include
a self-photo and a letter to establish pen/email relationships with the recipients.
For more info or offers of support call Scott at 530 623 2695.

GOT SCAMPI?

For years folks have been asking for us to open a restaurant here--and my standard
joke is "I've already found enough ways in my life to lose money"!

Joking aside, we truly believe that a restaurant here would be a sure winner and
 we are ready to bring in some new blood to tackle that project. So, if you know
 a talented self-starting, entrepreneurial person or couple who would be interested
in leasing our kitchen/cafe to build a good business, have them get in touch. Requirements:
energetic chef or culinary couple with experience and proven success in all aspects
of restaurant management (purchasing, inventory management, personnel, pricing,
etc.) plus desire to live in our beautiful area. Serious inquiries only.

. . . and at last,

WINTER STEELHEAD REPORT
Despite the lack of rain/snow steelheaders have been having typical winter Trinity
River success rates. The fish are spread throughout the system, and guides now reporting
pods of fresh fish moving up through the Junction City area.  The stretch behind
 the Lodge continues to produce more hookups than anywhere else on the river--I
counted five landed yesterday and there may have been more.
With low, clear river conditions the fishing is more technical than normal for this
time of year and the "production gap" between drift boats vs. walking and wading
 is narrow than usual--probably because of the added need for stealth. This season
we haven't had any real "hot" stretches when everyone out there is having double
 digit hookup days, but frankly that could spoil the adrenaline rush when the line
does sizzle off the reel. It's steelheading--skilled anglers who know the river
do well, less experienced folks have a great time on a beautiful river with slimmer
results. Most of the steelhead being hooked are wild and hot, with beautiful browns
sprinkled in for variety.
No real need to be out there knocking ice off guides at first light--most of the
 action starts later in the morning after the air starts to warm followed by small
afternoon hatches. When we get into a true warming trend both steelhead and browns
should become even more active.

FISHING the TRINITY in the SPRING

About a year ago I let the cat out of the bag by blabbing about spring fishing on
the Trinity, much to the displeasure of some well-informed Trinity aficionados who
would prefer to keep the spring fishing to themselves.  However, the "damage" is
 already done, so I'll remind you Indian Creek Lodge fans of the facts. Winter-run
steelhead keep coming up the Trinity through March and into April, and warmer conditions
really put the big browns on the prowl. In fact, in my opinion March was the best
all around month in both 2012 and 2013 for both steelhead and browns, with mid-afternoon
hatches providing the opportunity for dry fly action.  Keep in mind the hatchery
 release of yearling coho and steelhead around March 15, which is a boon to beginning
anglers but can be a bummer for experienced hands who view 8"-10" fish as pests.
 However, the adult steelhead should still be arriving, and the smolt will make
the big browns very aggressive.  The increased flow releases from Lewiston Dam will
start around April 25--we don't have a definite date yet--until then there should
be good action with steelhead and the used-to-be-a-secret Trinity browns . . . and
the river won't be crowded with anglers unless all of you come at once.  As always,
feel free to give us a call for up-to-the-minute reports.

John, Elena, Kurt and The Gang at

Indian Creek Lodge

*Quoted prices include taxes, but not gratuities or shuttles.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Indian Creek Lodge

59741 Highway 299 West

Post Office Box 100

Douglas City, CA. 96024

Phone (530) 623-6294
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Upcoming Events

February 21-23, 2014

Pleasanton Fly Fishing Show--if you are in the area please stop by our booth to
say "hi" and enter our high stakes raffle.

March 19, 2014

Shasta Trinity Fly Fishers

hold their annual fly fishing outing for vets under the auspices of the national
 Wounded Warriors program--a great event for a great cause. Vets are taught the
basics of fly fishing followed by socializing, dinner, and an overnight at the Lodge.

March 22-23, 2014 Helping Hands.  Teams of local 8th and 9th graders assemble artificial
hands to be sent to amputee victims of war injuries worldwide. Kids learn team building,
the rewards of giving, and make friends on other continents.

March 28-30, 2014

Cliff Sullivan Fly Fishing School, described in the left hand column.

April 10, 2014, Indian Creek Lodge will present a program for Granite Bay Fly Casters
on Fly Fishing the Trinity.

April 11-13, 2014

The Fly Shop's Two Day Fly Fishing School at the Lodge. Click here [http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001BPhim_B2W4hNkJrbcXVNx29oBRO8j47TYLwW1B298izCa8sxxEJ1XIJA4TS5jrQr40-AvInbhc-0qpoqEmMJAPUKNW89ghVqAIqakN5jaYZYwGNL1HOZ4eMHbdfJWs1JT0ozIuoAt4i3TnrLq72YaShtmoIA0lt4wMtBMdOaCyi0bkB8CHNudig1h8Id50X-0ZescToDBu4aNdA4vNW2Zw==&c=-6J-wczZ39jaZx5iMCQ8geKbKmht6dcY-44JqxqpgjLu-oag4Y0IzA==&ch=Nj9JybIgUAUzmtM699Fd2EwFMBWqRBWwL5SX7RbS6SATaMP6UER6jg==]
for details and to enroll.

April 25-27, 2014

Casting For Recovery Retreat, teaching breast cancer patients and survivors the
art  of fly fishing in a therapeutic and supportive atmosphere. Third annual retreat
at Indian Creek Lodge.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quick Links

Indian Creek Lodge Website [http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001BPhim_B2W4hNkJrbcXVNx29oBRO8j47TYLwW1B298izCa8sxxEJ1XOrwXUnvSjpsfZPMmP4WtgG2YAFuRbN_dAAflVtbC33JBMTcEVE1AUPTmMUQadQmCjRlLq6_r0UhtUycG1ML6WUXcCd03gkDpSMwf0G0jjERhepCGGfWFq4=&c=-6J-wczZ39jaZx5iMCQ8geKbKmht6dcY-44JqxqpgjLu-oag4Y0IzA==&ch=Nj9JybIgUAUzmtM699Fd2EwFMBWqRBWwL5SX7RbS6SATaMP6UER6jg==]
How to find us [http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001BPhim_B2W4hNkJrbcXVNx29oBRO8j47TYLwW1B298izCa8sxxEJ1XOrwXUnvSjpsILzMcNM8wot6dXjgUtqK10OigKTi-xiXEw-J5NEIUX9AtgpEx0oqF3LsYRp9LngPV0cy_zGvZlGVY0cdshnQ7ihWXIjbQZUuY4U9gxob1DclJVSiv07WdPWLc96zDcdt&c=-6J-wczZ39jaZx5iMCQ8geKbKmht6dcY-44JqxqpgjLu-oag4Y0IzA==&ch=Nj9JybIgUAUzmtM699Fd2EwFMBWqRBWwL5SX7RbS6SATaMP6UER6jg==]
Weddings and Special Events [http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001BPhim_B2W4hNkJrbcXVNx29oBRO8j47TYLwW1B298izCa8sxxEJ1XOrwXUnvSjps071AyULfwUXGgbUKxvQu6g5MNe_anRz74JT6cdqJ2i7Am88Lt-2TSwAIR4efAwsPcCshGK-RHTzVYEJ0PGFYEzhFtuWzeAGiaeBTwCrWSVnt_wqLHDqSgqesjqGOz6jWaF-pAPaKhQfB5k-EnfrS6gy-8zhGYMq0&c=-6J-wczZ39jaZx5iMCQ8geKbKmht6dcY-44JqxqpgjLu-oag4Y0IzA==&ch=Nj9JybIgUAUzmtM699Fd2EwFMBWqRBWwL5SX7RbS6SATaMP6UER6jg==]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Indian Creek Lodge is a great place for weddings or family gatherings

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Forward email
http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.jsp?llr=74tdk9iab&m=1108984582140&ea=env-trinity@velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us&a=1116360440493

This email was sent to env-trinity at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us by indiancreeklodge at wildblue.net.

Update Profile/Email Address
http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=oo&m=001IoY6zK3HhVTPYY5IRtChAg%3D%3D&ch=67efd130-7baf-11e3-b8d2-d4ae52754db0&ca=4c056848-14ae-4d12-88cd-d41373c3f920

Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe(TM)
http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=un&m=001IoY6zK3HhVTPYY5IRtChAg%3D%3D&ch=67efd130-7baf-11e3-b8d2-d4ae52754db0&ca=4c056848-14ae-4d12-88cd-d41373c3f920

Privacy Policy:
http://ui.constantcontact.com/roving/CCPrivacyPolicy.jsp

Online Marketing by
Constant Contact(R)
www.constantcontact.com

Indian Creek Lodge | 59741 Hwy 299 West | Douglas City | CA | 96024