[env-trinity] Redding.com: Drought prompts zero water allocations to farmers

Tom Stokely tstokely at att.net
Sat Feb 22 10:32:50 PST 2014

This year is a tragedy unfolding.

TS

UPDATED: Drought prompts zero water allocations to farmers
By Jenny Espino
Originally published 06:00 p.m., February 21, 2014
Updated 07:34 p.m., February 21, 2014
U.S. Bureau of Reclamation officials announced on Friday California farmers may not receive federal water supplies if rain or snow doesn’t break the dry spell.
Households, meanwhile, may want to consider consider replacing their lush green lawns with drought-resistant or native plants or maybe even decorative rocks because the water shortages could get bad.
Reclamation’s initial outlook for the year cuts allocations by half for urban water contractors. The zero allocations for agriculture are a first for the state, only making an exception for deliveries for public health and safety.
The federal agency will continue to monitor weather patterns and issue updated allocations. But the grim levels so far prove that the state is in the throes of one of its driest periods in recorded history.
“I have put a couple of notices in our newsletters, telling people it’s dry outside and be prepared for cutbacks,” said Kurt Born, Clear Creek Community Services District general manager. About 15 percent of the district’s connections are agriculture accounts. “Pray for a miracle.”
North State customers served by Clear Creek and Bella Vista Water District could face among the most strict conservation measures. Clear Creek is looking to shop with the McConnell Foundation for a portion of some 3,600 acre-feet that appear to be getting cut. Bella Vista still is calculating how much water it stands to receive. It does not have the option of buying water from outside sources.
“There is no one with surplus water,” said David Coxey, Bella Vista’s general manager. “When settlement contractors are so severely cut back ... they’re certainly not willing to transfer any water.”
The state’s snowpack is at 29 percent of average for this time of year, which means that for farmers it’s going to be a hard year. Irrigation seasons will have to be cut back.
Gov. Jerry Brown last month declared a drought emergency, and both state and federal officials have pledged millions of dollars to help with water conservation and food banks for those put out of work by the drought.
The city of Shasta Lake, anticipating a severe cutback, formed an ad hoc committee earlier this year.
City Manager John Duckett said plans are in place to buy enough water supply from the McConnell Foundation to replace the 1,300 acre-feet it may lose. Water conservation charges have been adopted to pay for added costs. Additionally, residents have been following Brown’s call to reduce water consumption by 20 percent, Duckett said.
“We’ll move forward and modify that if the weather pattern changes,” he said.
Also talking to the McConnell Foundation is the Centerville Community Services District, which serves the western edge of Redding. It’s board late last month approved buying 350 acre-feet of water.
The Shasta County Water Agency also is looking to the open market to buy 200 acre-feet but declined to identify its sources.
There’s still time for the situation to improve. By late Wednesday, the National Weather Service predicts a storm may sweep through the region bringing significant showers. The weather is expected to break Thursday with rain continuing Friday and Saturday.
Coxey of Bella Vista said a special board meeting is planned Thursday to determine reduction measures.
“These are entirely new off-the-chart considerations that we are contemplating,” Coxey said of drought conditions.
City of Anderson customers are sitting in one of the North State’s small oasis. All their deliveries come from groundwater.
But that doesn’t mean they are not talking about the parched region.
“We’re very stable in our water,” City Manager Jeff Kiser said. “There’s been a little discussion to the effect that we need to be conscious and conserve with our water use.”
Wildlife refuges that need water flows in rivers to protect endangered fish will receive 40 percent of their contracted supply.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Click here for water rationing map and tips for reading your water bill.
  © 2014 Scripps Newspaper Group — Online