[env-trinity] Trinity Journal LTE- Travis Michel: TRRP, tribe audit overdue

Paul Catanese pcatanese at dhscott.com
Wed Mar 5 10:08:00 PST 2014

As an income taxpayer, a trinity county property taxpayer,a trinity county utility rate payer and a fishing guide I couldn’t agree with Travis Michel s position more. An audit of the program is long overdue and was originally to be part of the ROD. The annual financial audit provision was arbitrarily yanked from the ROD allegedly due to influence by some members of the TMC.

It was odd that the program director stated in a public meeting in December that the 100 million dollars, more or less, that has been spent on restoration was not from the taxpayers. Ignorance abound to say the least.

I, like Travis, believe there are many good well intentioned  folks involved in TRRP but still does not excuse the lack of efficacy of the program.  Its time to reign it in and examine the progress or lack thereof.

In addition to sit on draft report that does not  paint a favorable light on the programs achievements makes one question the ethics of the parties involved whether merited or not. Sunlight and transparency is always the best disinfectant.

Think about all the money that has been spent without oversight, no bid contracts etc. while achieving  little measurable success. The white elephant in the room is the cumbersome and structurally ineffective design of the TMC and our Trinity County supervisors who seem to be more concerned about how much payroll stays in town rather than what the river needs.

Water in the main stem and restoration of the tributaries is the answer and we all know that. Bulldozing of the main stem and no bid contracts are not the  answer.

The time to financially audit the program is long overdue.

Paul Catanese