[env-trinity] Environmental Water Caucus Unveils Real-Time Drought Response

Dan Bacher danielbacher at fishsniffer.com
Mon Mar 10 15:09:45 PDT 2014

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/03/10/1283581/-Environmental-Water-
Caucus-Unveils-Drought-Response

Environmental Water Caucus Unveils Real-Time Drought Response

by Dan Bacher

As the drought continues, Governor Jerry Brown and other politicians
continue to promote the Bay Day Delta Conservation Plan (BDCP) to
build the peripheral tunnels as the "solution" to solving
California's water problems.

Others in Congress, such as Representatives David Valadao and Devin
Nunes and House Majority Leader John Boehner, are using the drought
as an opportunity to promote legislation that will eviscerate
protections for Central Valley salmon, in order to ship Delta water
to corporate agribusiness interests and oil companies, and to build
more dams throughout the state.

On the other hand, the Environmental Water Caucus, a broad coalition
of fishing groups, Indian Tribes, conservation groups and
environmental justice organizations, has released a response to the
drought pointing to ways that permanently use less water and better
manage the hundreds of existing dams and reservoirs that already exist.

"With a history of recurring drought in California- 40% of recent
years have been drought level years -California ought to be well
prepared for these conditions.  Instead we have another of the usual
'emergency drought proclamations' from the Governor," said Nick Di
Croce, Co-Facilitator of the Environmental Water Caucus.

Di Croce cited the kinds of actions that are "really needed to get us
out of this recurring cycle," as recommended by the member
organizations of the Environmental Water Caucus. These include:

•	Provide funding of mandatory programs for urban and agricultural
efficiencies and conservation.  This would include measures such as
incentives to purchase high efficiency toilets, clothes washers and
dishwashers, storm water capture, urban landscape replacement,
groundwater cleanup, waste water treatment and recycling, green water
infrastructure, and higher technology farm irrigation practices and
equipment.  All of these actions have proven successful in the recent
past, especially compared to the costs of water from new dams.

•	Develop water pricing guidelines to incentivize reduced use of
urban and agricultural water with local baselines and steep upward
price escalation for usage above the baselines.

•	Develop enforceable regional per capita water usage targets based
on the efficiency and conservation measures adopted.

•	Report and monitor groundwater usage in order to minimize
groundwater overdraft.  California is the only major state that does
not monitor or control its groundwater.

•	Retire impaired farmlands in the San Joaquin Valley which now
pollute our groundwater and rivers and use excessive amounts of
irrigation water; these lands could be repurposed as solar farms.

•	Develop water pricing incentives for planting crops which directly
contribute to the nation’s food supply.  As we reach the limits of
our water supply, we need to question the use of that valuable
resource in order to ensure the best use of our water.

•	Reduce exports from the Sacramento-San Joaquin Bay Delta to a
sustainable level aimed at protecting our water supplies as well as
fish and habitat.

•	Operate major dams with a larger reserve held back for the 40% of
low water years that can be anticipated.  The major orientation of
dam operations should be to protect water quality, drinking water,
fisheries, and habitats.

•	Reduce water district contract amounts to a more reasonable level
in keeping with future reduced water supplies and to eliminate the
current “paper water. ”The state has promised 5-1/2 times more
water rights than the water that actually exists," said Carolee
Krieger, Executive Director of the California Water Impact Network (C-
WIN), a member organization of the Environmental Water Caucus.

•	Restrict the use of water for fracking oil and natural gas.  The
limitations of our water supply require that we not use that resource
for a completely new water polluting industry.

•	Assure that adequate water supplies are provided to disadvantaged
communities and that the water quality for poorer communities meets
healthy standards.

"These are the kinds of actions that will be a real and permanent
drought response," emphasized Di Croce.

I agree. There is no need to build the twin tunnels or new dams when
all of these much better options for restoring the Bay Delta Estuary,
California rivers and coastal waters while providing water for the
needs of Californians are available.

Likewise, we must ban the environmentally destructive practice of
hydraulic fracturing that uses precious water needed for drinking
water supplies, family farmers and fish at at a time when California
reels from the impacts of a record drought. We cannot allow one
single drop of water to be used to expand fracking in California.

The member organizations of the Environmental Water Caucus include
the AquAlliance, Butte Environmental Council, California Coastkeeper
Alliance, California Save Our Streams Council, California
Sportfishing Protection Alliance, California Striped Bass
Association, California Water Impact Network, Clean Water Action,
Citizens Water Watch, Desal Response Group, Environmental Justice
Coalition for Water, Environmental Protection Information Center,
Earth Law Center, Fish Sniffer Magazine, Foothill Conservancy,
Friends of the River, Food & Water Watch, Granite Bay Flycasters,
Institute for Fisheries Resources, The Karuk Tribe, North Coast
Environmental Center, Northern California Council, Federation of Fly
Fishers, Pacific Coast Federation of Fishermen's Associations,
Planning & Conservation League, Restore the Delta, Sacramento River
Preservation Trust, Sierra Club California, Sierra Nevada Alliance,
Southern California Watershed Alliance and Winnemem Wintu Tribe.

For more information, go to: www.ewccalifornia.org

Contacts:
Nick Di Croce, Co-Facilitator, Environmental Water Caucus
troutnk at aol.com, 805-688-7813
Conner Everts, Southern California Watershed Alliance
connere at west.net, (310) 804-6615
Eric Wesselman, Executive Director, Friends of the River
eric at friendsoftheriver.org, (510) 775-3797