[env-trinity] Indian Country Today; New Klamath Water Bill ...

Thomas P. Schlosser t.schlosser at msaj.com
Mon Jun 2 16:33:20 PDT 2014

Glen conflates rights to property with rights to trustee action. The
former are preserved, the latter are diminished. Here's why:

Under existing law the U.S. Bureau of “Reclamation is obligated to
ensure that [irrigation] project operations not interfere with the
Tribes’ senior water rights.This is dictated by the doctrine of prior
appropriation as well as Reclamation’s trust responsibility to protect
tribal trust resources. . . . Reclamation must, pursuant to its trust
responsibility and consistent with its other legal obligations, prevent
activities under its control that would adversely affect [the Tribes’
fishing] rights.” Memorandum of Regional Solicitor (July 25, 1995)[1]
<#_ftn1>.This trust duty would be changed by KBRA, as authorized by
S. 2379, and KBRA would eliminate the trustee’s duty to prevent such
adverse effects.

Section 5(f) of Sen. Wyden’s S. 2379 would authorize executing the KBRA
agreement so the United States’ rights and obligations will change.As a
result, the first priority for Klamath River surface water will go to
the Klamath Irrigation District (diversions of 378,000 acre-feet per
year), regardless of the effect on fish restoration.[2] <#_ftn2> When
after those diversions too little water remains for fish, then not only
will the United States be unable to protect Indian fishing rights, it
will be obligated to oppose those rights. That is, the United States
will enforce the KBRA priority given to water diversions for irrigation.

The KBRA makes this elimination of federal trust responsibility explicit
for all Basin tribes, signatories or not.[3] <#_ftn3> For example, in
section 15.3.9:

The United States, acting in its capacity as trustee for the
Federally‑recognized tribes of the Klamath Basin, hereby provides . . ..
Assurances that it will not assert:(i) tribal water or fishing right
theories or tribal trust theories in a manner, or (ii) tribal water or
trust rights, whatever they may be, in a manner that will interfere with
the diversion  . . . of water for the Klamath Reclamation Project that
is . . . provided in Appendix E‑1.

Congressional authorization of the KBRA without an appropriate savings
clause will change the tribal right (enforceable by the federal trustee)
from a right to sufficient water to produce the fish on which the Tribes
rely, into a right to water left over after the diversions per KBRA
Appendix E-1, regardless of what the habitat consequences may be.It is
thus similar to rights termination provisions imposed upon Indian tribes
in the 1950s.This bill would abridge and minimize the
Government-to-Government relationship between the United States and the
Hoopa Valley Tribe.

T:\WPDOCS\0020\09773\Corresp\TERMINATION OF TRUST DUTY 021314.docx

kfn:5/27/14

[1] <#_ftnref1> /Available at/
http://www.schlosserlawfiles.com/~hoopa/SolMem072595.pdf.

[2] <#_ftnref2> KBRA App. E-1, /available at/
http://www.schlosserlawfiles.com/~hoopa/KBRAsecAppE-1.pdf; full document
at http://klamathrestoration.gov.

[3] <#_ftnref3> Signatory tribes agreed to relieve the United States of
this duty in exchange for funding. They also reserved their claims if
funds or certain events do not occur. E.g., KBRA sec. 15.7.B.ii.
Non-signatory tribes’ rights are simply changed unilaterally and without
consideration.