[env-trinity] Siskiyou Daily News: Water trust leases record amount

Tom Stokely tstokely at att.net
Tue Jun 3 07:43:29 PDT 2014

http://www.siskiyoudaily.com/article/20140530/NEWS/140539975

By Amanda Hinds Doyle
@SDNHindsDoyle
May 30. 2014 9:11AM
Water
trust leases record amount
ETNA – In an effort to keep sufficient flows in the mainstem Scott
River, several members of the Farmers Ditch Company set aside their differences
with the California Department of Fish and Wildlife to collaborate on an
agreement that will return surface water back to the river to augment flows for
distribution of yearling coho salmon and emerging coho fry.
According to Scott
River Water Trust board member Sari Sommarstrom, the trust paid the FDC to
return about two thirds of their diversion amount back into the Scott River.
“The
water right for FDC is 30 cubic feet per second (senior right) plus 6 cfs
surplus (junior),” said Sommarstrom. Of those rights, 20 cfs are being
returned.
“Twenty cfs is by far the largest water transaction we have ever
done,” said SRWT Executive Director Preston Harris. “It was a difficult task
negotiating this transaction in such a limited water year while trying to meet
the needs of the farmers whom depend on this water for their livelihoods.
Farmers Ditch Company is making a big sacrifice. This type of collaboration is
good to see.”
While there may be other means of irrigation, such as switching
to groundwater pumping, Harris said that the majority, if not all, of the FDC
do not have an alternative source of irrigation.
“I don't think anybody can
make that switch,” Harris said about alternate irrigation means. “The guys who
did this are really giving up a lot.”
While negotiations were difficult due to
such limited water this year, “This type of collaboration is good to see,” said
Harris.
This water transaction is part of an accumulated effort in the Scott
Basin to ensure salmon survival.
“We recognize the importance of having as
many salmon survive this extraordinary year, not only for our system, but
others throughout California,” said Gareth Plank of FDC.
The 20 cfs of water
added to the Scott River will provide improved rearing conditions, natural
migration and reduces the need to relocate fish that could be stranded in the
more problematic areas of the river during the extreme drought, according to a
SRWT press release.
CDFW senior environmental scientist Gary Curtis, who has
assisted with the agreement, added, “The department appreciates the great
efforts these landowners are making to improve conditions in the Scott River
for the fishery resource during a very difficult water year.”
While numbers are
still being crunched for 2014, spent $53,100 on water leases among 11 people
last year, according to Sommarstrom.
She said that due to extreme drought
conditions, the trust is expecting to spend more this year.
The money can go
toward making up the additional costs associated with less water, especially if
ranchers have to rent pasture due to the loss of flood irrigation in their
current fields, said Sommarstrom.
“We’re not targeting the big alfalfa fields,”
said Sommarstrom. “We are trying to compensate them fairly.”
In addition to the
FDC returning water, SRWT is sending out letters to individuals along French
and Sugar creeks and the upper mainstream Scott River for further volunteer
water returns.
“It’s hard to generate how much economic impact this will
have,” said Sommarstrom.