[env-trinity] Reclamation releases additional flows to stop Klamath River fish kill!

Dan Bacher danielbacher at fishsniffer.com
Sat Aug 23 10:43:27 PDT 2014

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2014/08/22/18760505.php
"We have determined that unprecedented conditions over the past few
weeks in the lower Klamath River require us to take emergency measures
to help reduce the potential for a large-scale fish die-off,” said Mid-
Pacific Regional Director David Murillo. “This decision was made based
on science and after consultation with Tribes, water and power users,
federal and state fish regulatory agencies, and others.”

800_westlands_sucks_the_t...
original image ( 5184x3456)

Reclamation releases additional flows to stop Klamath River fish kill!

by Dan bacher

After a big protest by the Yurok, Karuk and Hoopa Valley Tribes and
their supporters at the Bureau of Reclamation offices in Sacramento on
Tuesday, Reclamation announced Friday morning that it will release
additional water from Trinity Reservoir to supplement flows in the
lower Klamath River to help protect the returning run of adult Chinook
salmon.

“We have determined that unprecedented conditions over the past few
weeks in the lower Klamath River require us to take emergency measures
to help reduce the potential for a large-scale fish die-off,” said Mid-
Pacific Regional Director David Murillo in a news release and at a
conference call this morning with reporters from throughout the state.
“This decision was made based on science and after consultation with
Tribes, water and power users, federal and state fish regulatory
agencies, and others.”

Murillo said, "several recent factors prevalent in the lower Klamath
River are the basis for the decision to provide emergency augmentation
flows."

Reclamation will increase releases from Lewiston Dam beginning at 7
a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 23, from approximately 450 cubic feet per
second to approximately 950 cfs to achieve a flow rate of 2,500 cfs in
the lower Klamath River.

At 7 a.m. on Monday, Aug. 25, releases from Lewiston Dam will begin
increasing to approximately 2,450 cfs to achieve a flow rate of
approximately 4,000 cfs in the lower Klamath River.

This release from Lewiston Dam will be maintained for approximately 24
hours before returning to approximately 950 cfs and will be regulated
at approximately that level as necessary to maintain lower Klamath
River flows at 2,500 cfs until approximately Sunday, Sept. 14. River
and fishery conditions will be continuously monitored, and those
conditions will determine the duration.

“We fully recognize that during this prolonged severe drought, every
acre-foot of water is extremely valuable, and we are making every
effort to conserve water released for fish health purposes to reduce
hardships wherever possible,” added Murillo.

Reclamation will continue to work with NOAA Fisheries and other
federal agencies to comply with applicable provisions of the
Endangered Species Act and the National Environmental Policy Act.The
public is urged to take all necessary precautions on or near the river
while flows are high during this period.

There is no doubt that this decision would not have taken place
without the big campaign by Klamath River Tribal activists and
fishermen to stop a fish kill by urging the Bureau to release more
water from Trinity Reservoir and Lewiston Dam. Congratulations go to
everybody who made this possible!

Over 200 Tribal members and their allies from the Trinity and Klamath
river watersheds held a four-hour protest at the Bureau of Reclamation
offices in Sacramento on August 19 to urge them to release more water
from upriver dams to stop a massive fish kill.

Members of the Yurok, Hoopa Valley and Karuk tribes, as well as
leaders of the Winnemem Wintu Tribe, displayed an array of signs and
banners with slogans including “Fish Need Water,” “Let The River
Flow,” "Give Us Our Water, " "Save The Salmon," "Tribal Rights Are Non
Negotiable," "Release The Dam Water," "Undam the Klamath - Free the
Trinity," "Fish Can't Swim In Money," and "Westlands Sucks The Trinity
Dry."

"Thank you, all of the people that fight for the water/fish and our
ways of life!" said Dania Colegrove, organizer for Got Water? and
Hoopa Valley Tribal Member after hearing of the victory.

The Karuk Tribe issued a statement praising the Bureau's decision:

"The Karuk Tribal Council is extremely thrilled to announce the Bureau
of Reclamation has announced they will be releasing additional water
from the Trinity Reservoir to supplement flows in the Lower Klamath
River. Flows will be released beginning on Saturday morning at 7 a.m.,
causing a flow rate of approximately 2,500 cfs in the lower Klamath.

Hopefully the release of water is not too late, and it will prevent a
major fish kill like we saw in 2002. Over 60,000 fall Chinook were
lost in 2002, due to low flows and warm water temperatures which
allowed disease and other trauma to negatively impact the fish.

The Tribal Council would like to personally thank all of the strong
advocates for the fish and the rivers, including both the Trinity
River and the Klamath River. Your dedication and commitment to
grassroots activism coupled with strong science is what led to these
vital releases of water. We are thankful for all of your prayers and
we are grateful that your actions yielded positive results. During
this time of ceremony and healing for the Tribe, our Tribal Members
and communities should not have had to go to such great lengths to get
results. We are glad that they are now able to relax for the moment
and focus on strength and healing for our important ceremonies."

Corporate agribusiness leaders, including Dan Nelson, Executive
Director of the San Luis & Delta-Mendota Water Authority, weren't
happy with the release of water from Trinity Reservoir, claiming it
was for "speculative fishery purposes," in a press release entitled,
"Reclamation announces it will dump water while thousands stand in
line for food handouts."

"Today, United States Bureau of Reclamation announced it will dump
precious Central Valley Project water while the people of our valley
suffer from well-documented and widely reported social and economic
destruction as a result of government policies compounded by the
drought," said Nelson. "While over 2,000,000 acres of farm land
throughout the Central Valley, which produces over half of the
nation's fruit, nuts and vegetables, continues to have a 0 percent
water supply from the Central Valley Project, Reclamation has
determined there is somehow enough water available to let it go down
the Lower Klamath River in the hope it may help conditions for
unthreatened salmon. This decision is wrong - both scientifically and
morally."

It's ironic that agribusiness interests, who have imposed a system of
institutional poverty on farmworkers on the west side of the San
Joaquin Valley for many decades, are claiming "social and economic
destruction" to be the "result of government policies compounded by
the drought." For more information, see Lloyd Carter's 2010 article in
the Golden Gate University Environmental Law Journal: http://digitalcommons.law.ggu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1033&context=gguelj

For more information about the Tuesday rally in Sacramento, go to: https://intercontinentalcry.org/tribal-members-rally-sacramento-stop-klamath-river-fish-kill-25355/