[env-trinity] Trinity River salmon spawn survey update September 4, 2014

Chamberlain, Charles charles_chamberlain at fws.gov
Thu Sep 4 10:03:59 PDT 2014

Our fall 2014 Trinity River salmon spawning survey is underway again!
 Where did the last year go?!!

Yesterday, spawning survey crews from the US Fish and Wildlife Service, the
California Department of Fish and Wildlife, Yurok Tribal Fisheries Program,
Hoopa Valley Tribal Fisheries Department, and Shasta Trinity National
Forest all met at the Trinity River Hatchery to kick off our fall 2014
spawn survey season with a training day.  The day was spent familiarizing
all field staff with our survey equipment, protocols, safety
considerations, and discussion of topics such as sharing the river with
other users.  As part of the training we conducted a floating survey of our
reach 1 from Lewiston Dam to Old Bridge.  It's early yet and no redds or
carcasses were discovered.  Hopefully the redd count at the end of our 2014
season CRUSHES 2013's total!

[image: Inline image 2]

Look for us out on the river and say "Hi".  As the data start coming in
this fall I'll post weekly updates to the Arcata Fish and Wildlife Office
fisheries website in my signature below and announce those through
env-trinity <http://www2.dcn.org/mailman/listinfo/env-trinity> and a blind
cc list.  Please let me know if you wish to be removed from my blind cc
list.

I hope to see you out there!
Charlie

Charles Chamberlain