[env-trinity] Feds release emergency flows to avert fish kill on Klamath River (updated)

Dan Bacher danielbacher at fishsniffer.com
Tue Sep 16 16:13:08 PDT 2014

  http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2014/09/16/18761706.php
“While there has not been a confirmation that any fish have died as a
result of Ich, we are extremely concerned that there could be another
fish kill in the coming weeks if additional flows are not released. We
appreciate that the Bureau of Reclamation heeded our request to send
emergency flows down the Klamath River,” said Thomas P. O’Rourke Sr.,
Chair of the Yurok Tribe.

800_lewiston_dam_1.jpg
original image ( 5184x3456)

Feds release emergency flows to avert fish kill on Klamath River

by Dan Bacher

The Bureau of Reclamation at 10 a.m. today began to release additional
water from Trinity Reservoir in response to the discovery of an Ich
parasite infection in Chinook salmon in the lower Klamath River and at
the request of the Yurok and Hoopa Valley tribes.

A massive ich infestation among overcrowded fish led to a massive fish
die-off in September 2002 in the lower Klamath River. Over 68,000 fish
perished in the largest adult salmon die off in U.S. history.

Starting today and for the next seven days, the flow rate from
Lewiston Dam on the Trinity river will be increased to a maximum of
about 3,400 cubic feet per second (cfs), which will provide a flow
rate of approximately 5,000 cfs in the lower Klamath River. This is
double the 2,500 cfs flow sustained since August 23.

It will require approximately 35,000-40,000 acre-feet to accomplish
the flow doubling, according to a news release from Reclamation. The
public is urged to take all necessary precautions on or near the river
while flows are high during this period.

"On Monday, Sept. 15, scientists from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife
Service’s Fish Health Center captured and examined 20 fish from the
lower Klamath River mainstem. Of those 20, nine tested positive for
Ich parasites, with six of those nine determined to be severe. Ich was
the primary pathogen responsible for the fish die-off in 2002," the
Bureau stated.

The Fish Health Center’s findings are well above the emergency
response criteria described in an August 2013 joint memorandum from
USFWS and NOAA Fisheries. The recommended response is an immediate
doubling of the flow rate in the lower Klamath River for seven days -
and those increased releases began today.

“This is the only possible means of preventing or reducing the
severity of a parasite outbreak,” said Mid-Pacific Regional Director
David Murillo. “We are greatly concerned about the impact today’s
decision may have on already depleted storage levels, particularly the
cold water pool in Trinity Reservoir. We must, however, take all
reasonable measures to prevent a recurrence of the fish losses
experienced in 2002.”

The Yurok Tribe applauded the release of increased flows down the
Trinity River to avert a fish kill on the lower Klamath.

“While there has not been a confirmation that any fish have died as a
result of Ich, we are extremely concerned that there could be another
fish kill in the coming weeks if additional flows are not released. We
appreciate that the Bureau of Reclamation heeded our request to send
emergency flows down the Klamath River,” said Thomas P. O’Rourke Sr.,
Chair of the Yurok Tribe.

Hoopa Valley Tribal Chairwoman Danielle Vigil-Masten requested Monday
afternoon that the Bureau of Reclamation immediately double the flows
released into the Trinity from Lewiston Dam, according to a news
release from the Hoopa Valley Tribe issued Monday.

"The Hoopa Valley Tribe is very appreciative of the earlier action
that Reclamation took by releasing preventative flows," Vigil-Masten
stated. “We are in another stage that we did not anticipate and we
shouldn’t deviate from what the science tells us to do. We expect that
Reclamation will take the right action, which is to release the
emergency flows that are called for under the criteria.”

Below are the press releases from the Yurok and Hoopa Valley Tribes
regarding the increased flows:

Yurok Tribe Press Release:

At the Tribe’s Request, the BOR is sending emergency flows down the
Klamath

Tribal biologists find Ich, the pathogen responsible for the 2002
fish, for the first time in 11 years

Today, following the discovery of a significant number of salmon
infected with the deadly parasite Ichthyophthirius multifiliis or Ich
and at the request of the Yurok Tribe, emergency flows will be sent
down the Klamath River.

On Monday, September 15, the Yurok Fisheries Program, along with the
U.S Fish and Wildlife Service’s California-Nevada Fish Health Center,
examined several Klamath River Chinook salmon and confirmed the
presence of the deadly parasite, which was responsible for the 2002
fish kill.

Ich was found in 11 of the 26 fish that the Yurok Fisheries Program
sampled yesterday. Six of the salmon were severely infected with the
ciliated protozoan parasite. This is the first time Ich has been
detected since the Yurok Fisheries Program began monitoring for it in
2003, following the 2002 fish kill.

The prevalence of Ich exceeded a threshold identified by USFWS/NMFS
during 2013 for releasing emergency flows to prevent a major disease
outbreak. BOR’s decision today to double the flow in the Lower Klamath
will help minimize the risk of a major fish kill.

“While there has not been a confirmation that any fish have died as a
result of Ich, we are extremely concerned that there could be another
fish kill in the coming weeks if additional flows are not released. We
appreciate that the Bureau of Reclamation heeded our request to send
emergency flows down the Klamath River,” said Thomas P. O’Rourke Sr.

If the additional flows were not released back in August, it is highly
likely there would have already been a massive fish kill on the
Klamath River.

Last Friday, the Yurok Fisheries Program hand-delivered slides, made
from imprints of the gills of salmon believed to be sickened by Ich,
to the USFWS Fish Health Center in Anderson, Ca. Over the weekend
Fisheries crews continued to collect fish, many of which later tested
positive Ich. On Monday, the Fisheries Program and Dr. Scott Foote
from the center examined the 26 fish for Ich.

“This quick response from the BOR and USFWS Fish Health Center will
greatly lessen the chance of another fish kill,” Chairman O’Rourke said.

The Yurok Tribe will continue to monitor fish health in the Lower
Klamath River until the fall run has subsided.

Ich outbreaks are the result of a combination of three factors, which
consist of low flows, warm water and high fish densities. The Klamath
River Basin is suffering through three years of extreme drought and is
seeing a larger than predicted run of salmon in a relatively low
flowing river.

Prior to this year’s fall run of Chinook salmon, the Yurok Tribe,
anticipating unhealthy river conditions that could trigger a fish
kill, submitted two formal requests to the Secretary of Interior
asking that additional flows be sent down the Klamath River from
August 26 to September 21. Originally, the BOR declined to implement
the Yurok Tribe’s proposal for additional flows to lessen the
likelihood of another fish kill. At the Yurok Tribe’s request, the BOR
reconsidered its decision to not provide these additional flows from
August 23 – mid-September to protect fish.

“We are glad that BOR reconsidered our request and most likely the
earlier releases prevented a large-scale fish kill similar to what
took place on the Yurok Reservation in 2002,” Chairman O’Rourke said.

Based on the observations of Yurok fisheries biologists and tribal
fishers, it is likely that this year’s run of Chinook salmon was
substantially under predicted. During crowded conditions, such as
during a large escapement year, Ich is more readily passed from one
fish to the next. In order to reduce fish densities and the chance of
another catastrophic fish kill, the Yurok Tribe plans reopen the
subsistence fishery for two weeks, with a 2-day closure each week for
the protection of Coho.

Hoopa Valley Tribe Press Release:

The Hoopa Valley Tribe took swift action responding to the Klamath
River fish kill and contacted the Bureau of Reclamation Regional
Director, Dave Murillo. A potentially catastrophic outbreak of disease
among fall Chinook salmon has today commenced in the lower Klamath
River. Samples examined by Dr. Scott Foott show infection with ich of
at least nine fish, including six with “severe” infestations.

Consequently, an emergency doubling of flows at the USGS “KNK’ gage
from pre-existing levels for a period of 7 consecutive days, will be
required in an attempt to avoid a massive fish kill. They asked Mr.
Murillo to please take action immediately to release emergency flows.
Our leadership is currently in discussion with Mr. Murillo on the
proposed action.

Chairwoman Danielle Vigil-Masten stated that, “The Hoopa Valley Tribe
is very appreciative of the earlier action that Reclamation took by
releasing preventative flows. We are in another stage that we did not
anticipate and we shouldn’t deviate from what the science tells us to
do. We expect that Reclamation will take the right action which is to
release the emergency flows that are called for under the criteria.”

Dr. Scott Foott, a pathologist with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife
Service, discovered severe ich (ichthyophthirius multifiliis)
infestations in fall run Chinook salmon taken from the Lower Klamath
River.

Massive ich infestations among overcrowded fish led to a massive fish
die-off in 2002, which left tens of thousands of fish dead and dying
along the Klamath and Trinity Rivers.

Robert Franklin, senior hydrologist with Hoopa Tribal Fisheries, said,
“The fear is that all the fish might die in the Lower Klamath like
they did in 2002.”

This year, like in 2002, massive amounts of water have been diverted
from the Klamath and Trinity Rivers to agricultural users hit by
severe drought, leaving only a small portion of the rivers’ natural
flows to sustain their ecosystems.

As more water is diverted away from local rivers, lower water flow
leads to higher temperatures in the water, and diseases and parasites
spread among fish crowded into the few deep pools along the river.

Franklin said only an immediate doubling of flows on the Trinity could
prevent the infection from spreading rapidly. “It needs to take place
immediately because the water will take several days to reach the
Lower Klamath.”

Hoopa Valley Tribal Chairwoman Danielle Vigil-Masten requested this
afternoon that the Bureau of Reclamation immediately double the flows
released into the Trinity from Lewiston Dam.

“We expect that the Bureau of Reclamation will take the right action
and release the emergency flows that are called for,” Vigil-Masten
said.