[env-trinity] Mainstem Trinity River spawning survey update through Sept 26

Chamberlain, Charles charles_chamberlain at fws.gov
Fri Sep 26 18:49:12 PDT 2014

Trinity River fans,
Our latest in-season report from the Trinity River Salmon Spawning Survey
is available from the Fisheries web page of the Arcata Fish and Wildlife
Office:
http://www.fws.gov/arcata/fisheries

Trinity River flows came back down to base on Wednesday 9/24 and our crews
got out there to survey Lewiston Dam to Pigeon Point.  They mapped the
locations of 154 redds and 26 carcasses over three days.  Now that flows
are back down, hopefully activity will ramp up quickly and we can start to
catch back up.  The figure below is clipped from our weekly report
available at the link above.

[image: Inline image 1]

It was great to see some rain this week - I hope there's a lot more of that
on the way this fall and winter!

*Fun fact for the week...  *Courtesy Nicholas Van Vleet - AFWO
Did you know.... The American Dipper is a songbird commonly sighted along the
Trinity River. They prey on small fish, fish eggs, and aquatic
invertebrates.  They can dive up to 20 ft deep and scour the river bottom
for food!  An oil gland helps waterproof their feathers. Dippers are
territorial and their population density on a stream can be a reflection of
the stream's water quality and food availability. A couple of the links
below report that the American Dipper's forays into deep water occasionally
make it prey for a trout!

http://www.nwf.org/wildlife/wildlife-library/birds/american-dipper.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_dipper

https://sora.unm.edu/sites/default/files/journals/condor/v055n03/p0158-p0158.pdf

Gotta go.  I need to see what the fly shop has for Dipper Imitations!

Please let me know if you wish to be removed from my blind cc list for
these updates.
Charlie

Charles Chamberlain
Supervisory Fish Biologist