[env-trinity] Judge rejects agribusiness lawsuit over Trinity River flows - Tribes disagree about decision's implications

Dan Bacher danielbacher at fishsniffer.com
Thu Oct 2 10:53:14 PDT 2014

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/10/02/1333865/-Judge-rejects-agribusiness-lawsuit-over-Trinity-River-flows

https://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2014/10/01/18762297.php
Photo of Lewiston Dam on the Trinity River by Dan Bacher.

800_lewiston_dam.jpg
original image ( 5184x3456)

Judge rejects agribusiness lawsuit over Trinity River flows

Tribes disagree about decision's implications

by Dan Bacher

A federal judge in Fresno Wednesday dismissed almost all claims in a
lawsuit brought by a coalition of corporate agribusiness interests
seeking to block the protection of salmon in the Trinity and Klamath
rivers, but the Yurok Tribe, Pacific Coast Federation of Fishermen's
Associations (PCFFA) and Earthjustice disagree with the Hoopa Valley
Tribe over the implications of the decision.

The Yurok Tribe, PCFFA and Earthjustice issued a joint news release
stating that Judge Lawrence O’Neill "largely upheld" the Bureau of
Reclamation’s ability to provide additional flows in the Trinity, the
largest tributary of the Klamath, to prevent harm to salmon, but at
the same time indicated that "different legal authorities need to be
invoked."

"Straight up, if the Bureau of Reclamation did not make the decision
to augment flows on the Klamath, we would be right now cleaning up
thousands of salmon carcasses on the river,” said Thomas P. O'Rourke,
Sr., Chairman of the Yurok Tribe. “We applaud Judge O'Neill's
decision. We need to do everything possible to ensure in-basin fish
needs are met and to prevent another heartbreaking tragedy on the
Klamath River."

On the other hand, the Hoopa Valley Tribe said that the judge's
decision actually "cut off water needed for salmon in the Klamath
River."

"If the decision stands, it will gut a 60-year old federal law that
protected Trinity River water use for tribal fisheries,” said Mike
Orcutt, Hoopa Fisheries Director.

The San Luis and Delta-Mendota Water Authority and Westlands Water
District, representing agribusiness interests that irrigate drainage-
impaired land on the west side of the San Joaquin Valley, brought the
case last year against the Bureau of Reclamation, the federal agency
that controls water releases from the Trinity Reservoir to the Trinity
and Lower Klamath rivers.

These rivers support huge runs of Chinook salmon that the commercial
fishing industry and the Yurok and Hoopa Valley Tribes depend on for
sustenance. These salmon runs also support an economically vital
recreational fishing industry in the ocean and on the Klamath and
Trinity rivers.

The water districts brought the case after the Bureau proposed in 2013
to increase flow levels in the Trinity to avoid another massive fish
kill in the Lower Klamath like the one that took place in September
2002, when over 68,000 salmon perished.

The PCFFA, represented by Earthjustice, and the Hoopa and Yurok Tribes
intervened in defense of the Bureau to protect salmon and the local
fishing industry.

After an evidentiary hearing in August 2013, Judge O’Neill rejected
the irrigators’ request to block the flow program. Judge O’Neill
rejected a similar request with respect to the 2014 program. "Today’s
ruling represents the final resolution of the legal issues in this
case," according to Earthjustice.

"Ultimately this case is also about preserving the California salmon
fishing industry,” said Glen Spain, NW Regional Director of the
Pacific Coast Federation of Fishermen's Associations, which represents
commercial fishing families coastwide. “It makes no sense to sacrifice
thousands of fisheries jobs over 700 miles of coastline to provide
just a little bit more water to a voracious California Central Valley
agribusiness system that has already sucked up far more than its share
in a major drought."

Spain said this ruling will impact the salmon populations, coastal
fishing communities and tribes who rely on salmon. During drought, the
Bureau’s water releases from the Trinity River to the Lower Klamath
are critical to the survival of salmon as thousands of them return to
the river to spawn in late summer.

“Any second-grader can tell you that fish need water,” said Jan
Hasselman, an Earthjustice attorney based in Seattle. “The court
largely affirmed the government’s ability to manage water in the basin
to protect fish and the people who rely on them. We will continue to
work to ensure that good science is the touchstone of water management
in the Trinity basin.”

Hasselman said the court "rejected a wide number of claims brought by
the irrigators in the case, but did find for the irrigators that the
1955 statute that the government relied on as authority for
supplemental flows did not actually provide such authority. The Bureau
will need to invoke different legal authority if additional releases
are required in the future."

In contrast, Danielle Vigil-Masten, Chairwoman of the Hoopa Valley
Tribe, slammed Judge O'Neill's decision for not protecting the Trinity
River and vowed to appeal the decision.

“With the stroke of a pen the court severed the Klamath River’s
largest tributary and sutured it onto the Sacramento River. The
lifeblood of our people will now flow south to industrial
agriculture," said Vigil-Masten.

She said the court has "twisted the text and context of federal
legislation to produce this tragic outcome."

“But this decision cannot stand and it will not stand,” said Council
Member Ryan Jackson. “We will appeal. Ten years ago the Hoopa Valley
Tribe persuaded the court of appeals in San Francisco to reverse
another decision of this same federal court for these same plaintiffs
that would have destroyed the Hoopa fishery."

“We fought and won then,” said Jackson, “ and we will win again.“

According to the Tribe, the judge blamed this outcome in part on the
United States for its “refusal to invoke the trust responsibility” as
a reason to provide water for our fishery, which the United States
holds in trust."

“We expect our trustee to be a much stronger advocate for our rights
and resources on appeal than it was in this court,” said Hoopa Vice
Chair Wendy George.

The Tribe also said "It is terribly ironic that just days ago, the
United States paid a more than $500 million to the Navajo Nation for
mismanagement of tribal trust resources. It is devastating to think
that while some federal lawyers were putting the final touches on that
settlement, others were filing papers in our case to perpetrate the
same kind of mismanagement all over again."

“All should now be on notice,” said Chairwoman Vigil-Masten. “The
Hoopa Valley Tribe will oppose any legislation that benefits the
predatory and avaricious Central Valley Project contractors that
brought this suit against us, including the pending California drought
bill and the San Luis Drainage settlement that is expected to be
introduced in the next Congress.”

The Tribe noted, "The people on the Klamath River in Oregon also are
on notice: This decision creates a dilemma for the federal government.
If the government does not appeal the court’s decision and win, the
Secretary of the Interior may have no more Central Valley Project
water available to protect and preserve fish in California’s lower
Klamath River.

The only other sources of water now subject to federal regulation
besides the CVP’s Trinity River Division are the Bureau of
Reclamation’s Klamath Irrigation Project and the federally licensed
PacifiCorp Dams in Oregon and Californian. The Klamath water rights
settlement now pending in the U.S. Senate will have to be revised to
take water from those facilities to protect lower Klamath tribal trust
resources."

A phone call and email to Gayle Holman, Westlands Water District
public affairs representative, about the district's position on the
ruling hadn't been returned as of press time.

However, Holman told the Eureka Times Standard that in "her
understanding of the ruling, the claims made by Westlands had not been
dismissed."

"We are pleased that the court agreed with us that Reclamation had no
authority to make these releases," she said. (http://www.times-standard.com/localnews/ci_26647663/judge-water-klamath-salmon-legal-this-time
)

You can read the decision on the Earthjustice website: http://earthjustice.org/documents/legal-document/court-decision-judge-dismisses-bulk-of-agribusiness-lawsuit-over-trinity-river-flows

BACKGROUND:

In 2013, there were extremely low flow conditions in the Lower Klamath
occurring at the same time fisheries managers expected the second-
largest run of Chinook salmon on record. Federal, state and tribal
salmon biologists were concerned that the confluence of high runs and
low flows would lead to another disaster like the ‘Fish Kill of 2002.

In September 2002, Bush Administration’s water management policies in
the basin that favored irrigators led to a fish kill of over 68,000
salmon in the Lower Klamath, the largest fish kill of adult salmon in
U.S. history. The die-off resulted in coast-wide closures of
commercial, recreational and tribal fishing, dealing a huge blow to
the local economy, resulting in over $200 million in losses.

To avoid the projected die-off, the Bureau of Reclamation developed a
plan to release extra water from dams along the Trinity River, a
tributary of the Klamath, to improve the Klamath’s water conditions.
In response, San Luis & Delta-Mendota Water Authority and Westlands
Water District filed a lawsuit in an attempt to declare unlawful the
Bureau’s authority to release water from the Trinity River.