[env-trinity] Trinity River spawn survey update for October 13-17

Chamberlain, Charles charles_chamberlain at fws.gov
Mon Oct 20 07:54:30 PDT 2014

Hi all,
Spawning salmon, autumn colors, fall rains, and post-season baseball -
There is no better time of year!

The weekly update for our mainstem Trinity River spawning survey is posted
and available for download from the Arcata Fish and Wildlife Office
fisheries page
http://www.fws.gov/arcata/fisheries

We covered the river last week from Lewiston Dam to Pigeon Point and from
Big Bar to Cedar Flat, and mapped the locations of 584 redds and 439
carcasses.  The figure below is clipped from our weekly report.  It's nice
to see our running total "back in the blue" and climbing!

[image: Inline image 1]

*Fun fact for the week...  courtesy Aaron David - Arcata Fish and Wildlife
Office*

*Did you know*....   Salmon runs can influence the distribution of numerous
other fish and wildlife that follow the migrations of spawning salmon to
capitalize on the resources they provide.  A good return of salmon delivers
massive quantities of nutrients from the ocean to the river where they
spawn.  This pulse of energy and nutrients charges the river ecosystem and
surrounding forest.  In Alaska, resident trout, bears, and sea gulls
"track" runs of spawning salmon and feast on salmon eggs and tissue in
locations with high spawning activity.  Diversity in run timing and
location extends the banquet.  As spawning activity decreases in one area
and picks up in another, dependent fish and wildlife follow the feast into
other portions of the same watershed, or even into neighboring basins.  In
this way they capitalize on the bounty far longer than they would be able
to if all spawning only occurred in a confined location or only in a
compressed period.
Ruff et al. 2011 <http://www.esajournals.org/doi/full/10.1890/10-1762.1>
Schindler et al. 2013
<http://rsbl.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/9/3/20130048.full?sid=71022c85-e1c6-49bc-bdd4-1d4ca9e27b24>

If you wish to be removed from my blind cc list please let me know.
Talk to y'all soon,
Charlie

Charles Chamberlain
Supervisory Fish Biologist