[env-trinity] Mainstem Trinity River spawn survey update for November 10 to 14, 2014

Chamberlain, Charles charles_chamberlain at fws.gov
Mon Nov 17 13:32:31 PST 2014

Hi all,
The US Fish and Wildlife Service along with the Yurok Tribe, California
Department of Fish and Wildlife, US Forest Service, and Hoopa Valley Tribe
have another weekly update for our Trinity River mainstem spawn survey
posted on the Arcata Fish and Wildlife Fisheries webpage.
http://www.fws.gov/arcata/fisheries

Our crews mapped 439 redds and 1,423 carcasses in 4 days of survey.  The
graph below is clipped from our weekly report

[image: Inline image 2]

*Did you know*.... Rainbow Trout can exhibit quite varied life history
strategies.  Resident Rainbow Trout spend their entire lives in
freshwater.  Anadromous Rainbow Trout are better known by the name
"steelhead".  Steelhead migrate to the ocean where they feed and grow
before returning to freshwater to reproduce.  The offspring of resident
Rainbow Trout and steelhead are not obligated to follow the same life
history strategy as their parents!  Both forms can produce offspring that
take up freshwater residency or anadromy.  Siblings hatched from eggs of
the same redd (nest) can adopt one or both forms.

Until next week,
Charlie

Charles Chamberlain
Supervisory Fish Biologist