[env-trinity] Mainstem Trinity River spawn survey update for December 1 to 5, 2014

Chamberlain, Charles charles_chamberlain at fws.gov
Fri Dec 5 17:43:00 PST 2014

Hello Trinity River friends

The US Fish and Wildlife Service along with the Yurok Tribe, California
Department of Fish and Wildlife, US Forest Service, and Hoopa Valley Tribe
have another weekly update for our Trinity River mainstem spawn survey
posted on the Arcata Fish and Wildlife Fisheries webpage.
http://www.fws.gov/arcata/fisheries

Our crews mapped 187 redds in the Reaches from Lewiston Dam to Pigeon
Point, and Hawkins Bar to Weitchpec. Turbidity was pretty high in the river
downstream of Hawkins Bar, especially downstream of South Fork Trinity
River, so there's a good chance we under-counted there.  The graph below is
clipped from our weekly report (limited to the river upstream of Cedar
Flat).

[image: Inline image 1]

It is good to see the rain even if it does make for challenging survey
conditions.  I hope there's a lot more on the way!

*Did you know*.... salmon run size effects forest growth along salmon
streams?  In previous "*Did you know*" segments from both this year and
last, we touched on the role salmon play in the transport of nutrients from
the ocean to the streams and valleys where salmon return to spawn.  Using
analysis of tree-ring spacing and quantification of marine nitrogen
isotopes in the tissue of tree rings, researchers in Washington and Canada
found relationships between tree-ring growth and known salmon run-size
histories.  The relationships between tree growth and salmon run size were
much stronger than between tree growth and climate.  By using tree-ring
analysis of core samples from old-growth trees, researchers may someday be
able to roughly estimate salmon run sizes from centuries ago.

Drake et al. 2002
<http://myweb.facstaff.wwu.edu/helfiej/publications_pdfs/Drake%20et%20al%202002.pdf>

Post 2008
<http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wildlifenews.view_article&articles_id=407>