[env-trinity] Mainstem Trinity River spawn survey update for December 8 to 10, 2014

Chamberlain, Charles charles_chamberlain at fws.gov
Fri Dec 12 16:08:34 PST 2014

Hi all,
It's been a great week for rain!  Salmon spawning activity in the mainstem
Trinity River upstream of Burnt Ranch Gorge is winding down.  Our guys
mapped 44 redds this week from Lewiston Dam to Steelbridge, Douglas City to
Round House, and Big Bar to Cedar Flat.  Water was too turbid to survey
Steelbridge to Round House.  We're gonna try for one more look next week,
but there's more weather on the way and visibility might limit us again.

Our full weekly report is posted at the Arcata Fish and Wildlife Office
Fisheries web site <http://www.fws.gov/arcata/fisheries>.  The graph below
is clipped from our weekly report (limited to the river upstream of Cedar
Flat).

[image: Inline image 1]

*Did you know*.... warm Kodiak summers influence the utilization of salmon by
brown bear?  Salmon runs in Kodiak usually peak in early to mid-summer and
brown bear turn out in number to fatten up on them.  Elderberry typically
ripens when the salmon runs have died down and the bears begin to move to
the elderberry patches in late August.  In 2014 however, the elderberries
ripened during the salmon run due to an early and warm spring.  Few bears
capitalized on the salmon, choosing instead to feast on the berries!
http://www.fws.gov/FieldNotes/regmap.cfm?arskey=35482&callingKey=state&callingValue=AK%5C

Talk to you next week,
Charlie

Charles Chamberlain