[env-trinity] Fw: Lower Klamath Long-Term Plan Rollout - By Electronic Mail Only

Tom Stokely tstokely at att.net
Wed Dec 31 19:33:21 PST 2014

On Wednesday, December 31, 2014 4:40 PM, "Murillo, David" <dmurillo at usbr.gov> wrote:

Dear Tribes and Stakeholders:

Attached for your review is a draft of
Reclamation's Long Term Plan for Protecting Late Summer Adult Salmon in the
Lower Klamath River. This draft plan for fish protection will serve as general
guidance for considering and possibly undertaking actions to protect adult
salmon in the lower Klamath River.

Since the significant die-off of adult salmon
returning to the lower Klamath River in 2002, Reclamation has been consulting
with tribes and other partners to implement protective actions to help prevent
a recurrence. While other means have been researched and considered, the
primary protective action thus far has been the release of additional water
from Trinity Reservoir to augment flows in the lower Klamath River during the
adult return period, generally extending from mid-August through late
September. In 2012 through 2014, augmentation release volumes totaled
approximately 39,000 acre-feet (a-f), 17,500 a-f, and 64,000 a-f, respectively.

During many subsequent discussions with
stakeholders, Reclamation pledged that we would develop a long-term plan for
fish protection. We committed to releasing a draft of this plan by year's end.
Our staff has been working diligently to meet this goal, and we look forward to
your comments. Please submit them by January 31, 2015, to Public Affairs
Officer Erin Curtis via email at eccurtis at usbr.govor by regular mail at 2800 Cottage Way, Sacramento, CA 95825. You
may direct questions to Ms. Curtis at 916-978-5101.

Reclamation will carefully review all comments
and revise the draft as appropriate before releasing a final version of the
plan in the spring of 2015 so as to inform our protective actions, if any,
during the coming salmonid return season.
We anticipate that the plan may be revised periodically as more is
learned about disease propagation and various preventative measures.

Sincerely,

David Murillo
Regional Director

Thanks