[env-trinity] Hayfork wetland planting

Tom Stokely tstokely at att.net
Thu Jan 29 12:37:30 PST 2015

On Thursday, January 29, 2015 7:15 AM, Joshua Smith <josh at thewatershedcenter.com> wrote:

Hello all,

The Watershed Center is pleased to announce the development of the Hayfork Community Wetland!

During the summer of 2014 the Watershed Center and partners worked to enhance wetland features of an intensely damaged property in downtown Hayfork. The Hayfork Community Wetland area is located in between Hayfork High School and the US Forest Service compound and Hayfork Creek. The enhancement activities will help to restore 20 acres of mining tailings, expanding existing wetland habitat, supporting wildlife, filtering water and helping create a beautiful outdoor classroom for our schools and community.

We are excited to invite the community to see this great project in action, and help in its development! We would like to invite the community to a planting and trail building day at the Hayfork Community Wetland onFebruary 25th. We will be aiding the renovation process by planting an assortment of native vegetation in the disturbed areas. This is a family-friendly event that's fun for all ages-- come learn about our wetlands, local ecology, and spend some time in the beautiful outdoors helping develop our new community wetland.

 A suite of professionals will be on hand to help lead the event. Riparian ecologists, botanists, master gardeners, and more will work hand-in-hand with students and volunteers, teaching them about plant propagation, native plants, wetlands, ecology and more. We have a collection of native plants that we will be planting throughout the wetland plus we’d like to propagate some native plants from healthy parts of the wetland into the newly constructed areas. If anyone is interested in coming but isn’t into plants, we also would love assistance building a foot trail through the wetlands. Experienced trail builders will be on hand to lead volunteers.

The Watershed Center will bring food, some tools, and some maps/description of the project for folks. We will be out there from 9am-2pm and you are welcome to come along for any or all of the activities.  Dress warmly, and in clothes you don't mind getting grubby.

Anyone is welcome to attend but please RSVP so that we can be sure to have enough food and refreshments for all. Please call Josh or Piper at 628-4206 so we can discuss where to meet and other pertinent details.

Feel free to forward this to anyone who might be interested.

Hope to see you there!

Josh and the Watershed Center crew
​
The Watershed Research & Training Center
98 Clinic Ave, Hayfork, Ca 96041-0356
(530)628-4206 (work phone)
(530)515-1364 (cell phone)
www.thewatershedcenter.com