[env-trinity] Scientists on the Klamath River's salmon disease epidemic

Thomas P. Schlosser t.schlosser at msaj.com
Tue May 19 12:58:44 PDT 2015

The BiOp need not be challenged, instead the agencies should reinitiate
consultation and adopt new protective measures to avoid jeopardy.

The new fish health information should be enough to get NMFS to reopen
the biological opinion protecting coho salmon voluntarily. There is a
disease condition for BOR's operations on BiOp p. 392, Table 13.6
"Summary of annual incidental take of SONCC coho salmon expected to
occur as a result of the proposed action". It says, for C. shasta:
"Measured by a surrogate of *up to 54 percent (via histology or 49
percent via QPCR) of the total annual Chinook salmon juveniles in the
mainstem Klamath River between the Shasta River and the Trinity River
may be infected with C. shasta during the months of May to July.*" An
infection rate of 90-100% of juveniles is twice the incidental take that
was anticipated; it should be enough to trigger reinitiation.

BiOp page 410 says: "As provided in 50 CFR §402.16, reinitiation of
formal consultation is required where discretionary Federal agency
involvement or control over the action has been retained (or is
authorized by law) and if: (1) *the amount or extent of incidental take
is exceeded*; (2) new information reveals effects of the agency action
that may affect listed species or critical habitat in a manner or to an
extent not considered in this opinion;"

Tom