[env-trinity] Troy Fletcher, Yurok Tribe's Visionary Leader, Passes Away

Dan Bacher danielbacher at fishsniffer.com
Tue Nov 24 20:07:01 PST 2015

Troy Fletcher, Yurok Tribe's Visionary Leader, Passes Away

Troy Fletcher, a visionary leader of the Yurok Tribe, passed away of a
heart attack on Friday night, November 20.

I first met Troy nearly 20 years ago at a Fish and Game Commission
hearing when he was the director of the Yurok Fisheries Program. From
that first time I talked to Troy, I watched him play the key
leadership role in building bridges between the Tribe and commercial
fishermen, recreational anglers, environmentalists, farmers, other
tribes and federal and state government officials who were often in
conflict with one another.

Troy, who became the Executive Director of the Tribe, was one of the
rare people who could truly see the "big picture" of fishery and
environmental restoration - and what was necessary to restore the
Klamath Basin and Pacific fisheries.

He told me several times at protests and meetings, "Fishermen will
always fight over the fish. Our goal is to see that there are more
fish that we can fight over."

He also talked to me a number of times about his vision of the way to
accomplish restoration of the Klamath and other fisheries - by forming
"blue collar" task forces rather than the "Blue Ribbon Task Forces"
dominated by corporate interests and political appointees that oversaw
the MLPA Initiative, BDCP and other environmental processes. Troy said
these blue collar panels would be comprised only of those whose hands
"touch the water" - farmers, recreational anglers, commercial
fishermen and tribal gatherers and fishermen.

Troy, along with Ron Reed of the Karuk Tribe, spoke at rallies and
meetings in solidarity with recreational anglers and commercial
fishermen fighting to bring back salmon on the Klamath, Sacramento and
other watersheds - and fighting to defend their fishing rights.

While Troy was a bridge builder, he also stood firm when the Tribe's
sovereign rights were being infringed upon by a state or federal
government agency. For example, at the Legislature's Fisheries Forum
in 2010, he warned the legislators that Yurok Tribe members were
willing to engage in civil disobedience if their traditional fishing
and gathering rights were violated under the Marine Life Protection
Act Initiative.

My condolences go to the Yurok Tribe, Troy Fletcher's family, and
everybody whose life Troy touched.

Dan Bacher

Below is the press release from the Yurok Tribe:
http://www.yuroktribe.org

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact:
Matt Mais
(707) 482-1350

Yurok Tribe Mourns the Loss of Visionary Leader

It is with deep despair and a heavy heart that we announce the
untimely passing of Tribal luminary, Troy Fletcher.

“This is a tragic loss for the Yurok people, so tragic that words
cannot express how we feel,” said Thomas P. O’Rourke Sr., Chairman of
the Yurok Tribe. “Troy accomplished things that many people thought
were impossible. We will forever be grateful for Troy’s tremendous
contribution to the Tribe. Our thoughts and prayers are with his
family.”

“We are all devastated by the passing of our friend, brother and
colleague,” added Susan Masten, the Yurok Tribe’s Vice Chair. “Troy
dedicated his life and put his heart and soul into his effort to
protect and restore the Klamath River. He will be greatly missed by
all.”

Fletcher, a longtime Executive Director for the Yurok Tribe, passed
away on Friday evening, after suffering from a heart attack. He
started his career with the Yurok Tribe as the first Tribal fisheries
manager in 1994.
The Yurok Tribal member and visionary leader ran the day-to-day
operations of the Tribal government. He played a prominent part in
nearly every important Tribal policy decision, land acquisition,
litigation and legislative effort in the last 20 years.

Fletcher, a tenacious Tribal advocate, accumulated a long list of
history-making accomplishments, such as sowing the seeds that started
the Tribe’s natural resource protection programs, during his time
working for the Tribe. While the truly humble human being would never
take the credit, Fletcher was responsible for ending a generations-
long conflict between many competing Klamath River-based interests,
including: farmers, commercial fishers, a power company, environmental
groups and other Tribes.

Turning this group of fierce, former adversaries into a cooperative
coalition, focused on removing four Klamath dams and creating a plan
for equitable water use was just one the many achievements in his
storied career.

“Troy’s integrity and innate leadership skills made him a magnet to
all,” said Dave Hillemeier, the Yurok Fisheries Program Manager. “We
have lost a beloved friend, father, son, husband, mentor, leader, boss
and a person respected by those from all walks of life.”

The benevolent boss instilled many positive principles into his
employees and empowered them to achieve greatness. He valued
initiative and preparedness. Fletcher treated all of the staff fairly
and with respect. He emphasized the importance of developing
meaningful relationships with representatives of outside agencies.

In Fletcher’s opinion, the Tribe had a right and an obligation to
manage all of the lands within Yurok ancestral territory and places
that affect the Tribe, such as upriver from its borders. He saw those
who opposed him as an opportunity to build a bridge. Before making any
decisions involving natural resources, he first asked, “Does this work
for fish?”

The leading figure in the campaign to solve the Klamath water crisis
also filled an irreplaceable role in the Tribe’s effort to reacquire
substantial swaths of land within Yurok territory. His behind-the-
scenes work paved the way for the Tribe to procure more than 35,000
acres in the Pecwan and Blue Creek watersheds. Both of these
drainages, located in the Tribe’s traditional territory, are
culturally invaluable and incredibly important for fish and wildlife
populations.

In 1999 Fletcher transitioned to the Executive Director position. As
the Fisheries Manager and then as Executive Director, he established
the Tribe’s, award-winning Watershed Restoration and Environmental
Programs and expanded the Fisheries Program. Today, these programs
have more 70 staff that are committed to improving environmental
conditions in Yurok ancestral territory.

The universally respected administrator managed more than a dozen
departments and 300-plus personnel. Most recently, Fletcher was
shepherding a strategy to spur the United States Congress into
creating legislation that would broaden the Reservation’s boundaries
to include the recent land purchases and increase the Tribe’s role in
managing the lands within Yurok ancestral territory. He was also
working with representatives of the federal government to release the
remaining elements of the Hoopa/Yurok Settlement Act.

The distinguished director worked his way from a fisheries technician
to overseeing the fast-growing Tribal government. On behalf of the
Yurok people, Fletcher testified before Congress, presented to
numerous state and federal regulatory committees and travelled to
Washington DC many times to advocate for Tribal rights and to improve
conditions on the Klamath River.

Fletcher was raised in Pecwan, which is where he spawned a life-long
connection to the Klamath River. He committed his entire adult life to
restoring the river, preserving Tribal culture and returning the Tribe
to its rightful role in Yurok Country. He leaves behind his parents,
Jacqueline and Don Winter, his sons Troy Fletcher Jr., Cody and
Zachary, grandchildren Cody Jr. and Raa-yoy, as well as his wife Kari.

Services will be held on Saturday, Nov., 28 at 10 a.m. at the Yurok
Tribal office in Klamath. The family asks that in lieu of flowers
donations be made to the Aawok Troy Fletcher Memorial Fund, through
the Humboldt Area Foundation. HAF’s address is 373 Indianola Rd.,
Bayside Ca 95524. There will be an opportunity to make a donation at
the Saturday service.