[env-trinity] American River Steelhead Run Up From Last Year, Still Below Good Years

Dan Bacher danielbacher at fishsniffer.com
Wed Jan 13 09:29:41 PST 2016

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/01/11/1468470/-American-River-Steelhead-Run-Is-Up-From-Last-Year-But-Still-Below-Good-Years

American River Steelhead Run Up From Last Year, Still Below Good Years

by Dan Bacher

The number of steelhead showing now at Nimbus Fish Hatchery continues
to be much better than last year, in spite of continuing low releases
of 500 cfs from Nimbus Dam. If the El Nino storms continue, expect to
see a lot more steelhead move into the river when the flows go up.

Last season hatchery workers counted only 154 steelhead trapped at the
facility from December through mid-March.

In contrast, the hatchery has trapped a total of 320 adult steelhead
to date. ‘”We also released two wild girls and one wild boy,” said
Gary Novak, Nimbus Fish Hatchery manager.

“There are lots of steelhead in the hatchery now. We’re seeing about
80 fish in the trap every Tuesday before we spawn,” stated Novak.

The hatchery has spawned 73 pairs and taken 491,717 eggs, well on the
way to their goal of releasing 430,000 steelhead yearlings into the
river system.

However, to put the current steelhead run in perspective, banner years
for steelhead on the American have seen up to 2,000 adult steelhead
counted by this time of year. During the best seasons I’ve fished for
steelhead – 1980, 1995, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2011 and 2013 –
anywhere from 2,000 to 4,000 steelhead have been counted at the
hatchery.

Novak’s working theory for the much larger numbers of steelhead seen
this year is that many of the fish didn’t come back to the river and
stayed out in the ocean for an extra year. Most of the fish seen at
Nimbus are three-year olds in the majority of years.

This year there appear a larger number of four-year-olds than usual,
but we won’t know for sure until the scale samples of the fish are
analyzed. Most of the fish this season range from 8 to 12 pounds.

The hatchery workers continue to see larger amounts of eggs per
steelhead female, 7,000 compared to around 6,000 eggs per fish last
year.

The hatchery last year was able to take only 192,278 eggs the entire
season. To boost the numbers of fish they raised, they obtained
168,838 eggs from Coleman Fish Hatchery, Novak noted.

This year CDFW staff will release 291,000 steelhead yearlings into the
system.

American River steelhead are the largest ones found in the Central
Valley system, due to their Eel River ancestry and excellent forage
conditions found on the America. A fisherman tossing out a Little Cleo
in February 2002 caught and released a wild steelhead/rainbow weighing
24.02 pounds, the largest ever documented on the American.

  After just hundreds of the river’s native steelhead returned to
Nimbus Fish Hatchery in the first few years after Folsom Lake was
completed in the 1950s, the DFW introduced Eel River steelhead to the
hatchery, boosting annual steelhead returns to the hatchery in the
thousands every year.

Genetic analyses conducted since then indicate steelhead from both the
hatchery and the river are genetically more similar to Eel River
steelhead than other Central Valley steelhead stocks.

In a presentation before the Save the American River Association in
December 2014, Dr. Ribert Titus, CDFW Senior Environmental Scientist,
documented how steelhead in the lower American River may be the
“fastest growing trout” in the world.

“There is a lot of food in the American – the fish average a growth
rate of.82 mm per day. They grow really well,” he said.

He contrasted a slide of steelhead from the American River with one
from Secret Ravine Creek, a tributary of Dry Creek. Whereas the
American River fish is plump and healthy looking, the fish from Secret
Ravine looks skinny and undernourished.

However, the same relatively warm conditions American River steelhead
encounter every summer have spurred the outbreak, first documented in
2004, of an anal vent disease called “rosy anus” according to Titus.

The American River steelhead population, along with its Chinook salmon
run, constitutes a unique urban fishery in the shadow of the State
Capitol that we must fight to restore and preserve.