[env-trinity] Eye on Sacramento calls on Steinberg to fully disclose details of relationship with MWD

Dan Bacher danielbacher at fishsniffer.com
Fri Jun 3 10:27:26 PDT 2016

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/6/2/1533845/-Eye-on-Sacramento-calls-on-Darrell-Steinberg-to-fully-disclose-details-of-relationship-with-MWD

Eye on Sacramento calls on Steinberg to fully disclose details of
relationship with MWD

by Dan Bacher

Eye on Sacramento (EOS), a group championing the adoption of
“meaningful transparency and ethics reform” in the City of Sacramento,
on Thursday called on Mayoral Candidate Darrell Steinberg, the former
Senate President Pro Tem, to “fully disclose” the details of his
contractual relationship with the Metropolitan Water District (MWD) of
Southern California.

The Sacramento Bee first exposed the contractual relationship in an
article published online on May 31 after obtaining a copy of the
controversial contract.  Steinberg’s law firm, Greenberg Traurig, has
been collecting $10,000 per month from MWD for Steinberg’s services
since July of last year. (www.sacbee.com/...)

The politically powerful Metropolitan Water District has played a key
leadership role in promoting Governor Jerry Brown's plan to build the
massive Delta Tunnels, designed to export Northern California water to
agribusiness interests on the west side of the San Joaquin Valley and
Southern California water agencies.

Local County and City governments oppose  the Delta plan, along with a
broad coalition of fishermen, environmentalists, Indian Tribes and
family farmers, because of the enormous environmental damage it would
inflict on fisheries and the ecosystem of the Sacramento-San Joaquin
River Delta, the largest estuary on the west coast of the Americas.

MWD was also a key backer of the controversial water bond/water policy
package that Governor Arnold Scharzenegger and Steinberg pushed
through the Legislature in November 2009 , as well as Governor Jerry
Brown’s Proposition 1 Water Bond that was approved by the voters in
November 2014.

In the contract, Steinberg is tasked “to provide strategic advice on
approach, outreach and messaging for matters related to Metropolitan’s
public policy to ensure effective communications with stakeholders in
Northern California.”

Two of Steinberg's key duties are to “assist in the development of
strategy and outreach plan for a multi purpose project in the Yolo
Bypass” and to “identify and pursue outreach opportunities with
elected officials in Delta counties to build relationships for
advancing common ground.”

The contract, at Steinberg’s request, states, “Consultant will not
engage or advocate on matters specifically related to new Delta
conveyance,” the term often used by state and federal officials to
describe the Delta Tunnels/California WaterFix plan.

The contract between MWD and the Greenberg Traurig law firm involving
Mr. Steinberg’s consulting services to MWD may be viewed on the EOS
website via this link.

Steinberg said he entered into the Metropolitan Water District
contract last summer before choosing to enter the mayor's race and
said he will end his full-time position with MWD when the contract
expires at the end of June.

In a written statement from his campaign, Steinberg said,  “As I’ve
made clear from the day I announced, if I’m fortunate enough to be
elected mayor, my full-time energy and attention will be focused on
doing that job to the best of my abilities for the people of
Sacramento, and I will relinquish my full-time role with my current
employer.”

“I get innuendo,” Steinberg told the Bee. “As long as the work is
consistent with my values and the interests of my city, I don’t see a
problem. (www.sacbee.com/...)

In a press release, Craig Powell, President of Eye on Sacramento,
disagreed with Steinberg's claim that his work for MWD is consistent
with the city's interests.

“Sacramentans learned for the first time yesterday from a Sacramento
Bee story that Darrell Steinberg, while actively seeking the support
of Sacramento voters for his mayoral bid, has been covertly providing
strategic consulting services to the politically powerful Southern
California-based Metropolitan Water District (MWD) whose interests are
very much at odds with the interests of the City of Sacramento and its
residents on just about every major water issue facing our region,”
said Powell.

“We are troubled that Sacramento voters who have already voted via
absentee ballot (now fully half of all Sacramento voters) did so
without the knowledge that one mayoral candidate was effectively on
the payroll of the MWD. While nothing can be done at this late date to
cure that significant informational failure, there are some immediate
steps that Mr. Steinberg can and should take to fully explain the
nature and extent of his relationship with MWD for the benefit of
voters who will be casting their ballots on Election Day,” Powell
stated.

The group compiled a list of questions they believe Steinberg should
answer. These include:

• When did he and MWD first begin discussing a consulting arrangement?

• How much of his time over the past year has he devoted to providing
“strategic advice” to MWD as called for in the contract?

• Has he been maintaining time records of his services?

• Will he publicly disclose such records?

• Has he provided any “deliverables” to MWD, such as reports and other
documentation?

• Will he and MWD now disclose such documents?

• What public officials in our region did he meet with in the service
of MWD’s goal of building relationships with North State stakeholders?

• Will he and MWD voluntarily release copies of their e-mail
communications with one another, without the need for submitting
formal public records requests?

Powell noted that Steinberg was providing “consulting services” for
MWD, not legal services that would have been protected from public
disclosure under the attorney/client privilege.

”The voters of Sacramento deserve to know if Mr. Steinberg, in
providing consulting services to MWD while campaigning for Sacramento
mayor, has been acting appropriately, ethically and loyally as both a
Sacramento resident and an aspirant to the mayor’s office or has he
acted in a manner that is at odds with the long-term best interests of
Sacramento and its residents,” he stated.

“By promptly and fully disclosing these matters to the Sacramento
public, Mr. Steinberg will go a long way towards allaying legitimate
public concern over the role he is playing with MWD. If Mr. Steinberg
fails to provide such disclosures, we would encourage the Sacramento
County Civil Grand Jury to consider initiating an investigation into
Mr. Steinberg’s relationship with MWD to uncover the facts. One way or
the other, Sacramento voters deserve to know the facts and
implications of Mr. Steinberg’s dealings with MWD,” Powell concluded.

Steinberg is running against the current Sacramento Vice Mayor,
Angelique Ashby, in the current mayoral election.

Ashby told the Board of Directors of ECOS, the Environmental Council
of Sacramento, at a recent meeting that she completely opposes the
Delta Tunnels plan. At the same meeting, Steinberg didn’t discuss his
position on the Delta Tunnels plan.

According to the Bee, Steinberg said in 2013 he was “not ready to sign
off on any particular-size tunnel, but I think the idea that we both
have to restore the ecosystem of the Delta and at the same time
provide water reliability conveyance for the entire state by going
around the Delta is true, and accepted. And I accept it, and I’m ready
to work with the governor to figure out the details.”

Delta  advocates believe it is crucial that Steinberg take a
definitive stand against the tunnels.

"It's really important for any mayor of ‘River City’ to be committed
to protecting our river,” said Osha Meserve, a Sacramento lawyer
representing local environmental and farming interests on Delta
matters. “Steinberg's waffling on this issue indicates he has not yet
made that committment and he should.”