[env-trinity] Western States Petroleum Association Wins The Prestigious "Scummy" Award

Dan Bacher danielbacher at fishsniffer.com
Sat Jun 18 16:58:48 PDT 2016

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/6/18/1540197/-Western-States-Petroleum-Association-Wins-The-Prestigious-Scummy-Award?

Western States Petroleum Association Wins The Prestigious "Scummy" Award

by Dan Bacher

The Western States Petroleum Association (WSPA), the lobbying
organization for Big Oil in Arizona, California, Nevada, Oregon and
Washington, received the prestigious “Scummy Award” from the
environmental group “Stop Fooling California” (stopfoolingca.org) on
June 17 for “fighting for the oil industry’s right to pollute.”

In every edition of Stop Fooling California’s “The Crude Truth”
newsletter, the group gives the “Scummy Award” for “who’s the best at
being the worst.” I love these awards because they offer a creative
and humorous way to point out the latest transgressions of the oil
industry.

“Remember that time the Richmond Chevron refinery sent thousands to
the hospital when it caught fire and covered the community with heavy,
toxic smoke?,” the group recalled. “ Well, understandably, the local
air quality management district didn’t like that one bit. So,
officials set up five rules designed to reduce refinery emissions and
ensure Big Oil doesn’t poison its neighbors. Seems reasonable, right?”

“Well, not if you’re elite scum bag,” the group said. “The Western
States Petroleum Association filed a lawsuit, with their lawyers
calling the rules ‘arbitrary and capricious.’” (www.mercurynews.com/...)

“Meanwhile, climate justice groups like the Asian Pacific
Environmental Network, support the rules, saying they’re needed to
protect our climate and health especially for disadvantaged
communities, who shoulder the brunt of pollution,” the group concluded.

In an opinion piece in the San Francisco Chronicle cited by Stop
Fooling California, Andres Soto and Sandy Saetern pointed out the
enormous hazard that oil refinery emissions pose to human health and
the environment. (www.sfchronicle.com/...)

“East Bay residents know what it’s like to rush, choking, to the
emergency room when a refinery fire poisons our air because oversight
is too lax,” Soto and Saetern wrote. “ We know that from Chevron’s
2012 Richmond refinery fire, which sent 15,000 people to seek medical
help after a corroded pipe failed and caught fire. The Bay Area knows
we need air pollution reductions to protect our climate and our health.”

This is not the first time that Stop Fooling California has bestowed
its “Scummy  Award" upon WSPA or its President, Catherine Reheis-Boyd.
After hearing that the “Women's Empowerment Summit" was going to honor
Reheis- Boyd,  with the 2016 "Distinguished Woman and Petroleum
Advocate of the Year" award on May 7, the group decided to give Reheis-
Boyd the "Scummy Award.” (www.indybay.org/...)

"Catherine Reheis-Boyd, president of the Western States Petroleum
Association (WSPA), is receiving TWO awards this weekend!," the group
proclaimed. “She’ll receive the first annual Distinguished Woman and
Petroleum Advocate of the Year award (because she leads the most
powerful corporate lobbying group in Sacramento) AND our prestigious
Scummy (because she’s an oil industry shill)." (us8.campaign-
archive2.com/...)

The oil industry, including WSPA, Chevron, Phillips 66, AERA Energy,
Exxon and Shell, have spent more than $25 million so far in the
2015-16 legislative session.  WSPA has spent $12.8 million so far in
the session, making them, as usual, the top California lobbying
spenders of the session.

In a huge conflict of interest that the mainstream media has refused
to discuss, Reheis-Boyd chaired the South Coast Marine Life Protection
Act (MLPA) Initiative Blue) Ribbon Task Force that created the so-
called “marine protected areas” that went into effect in Southern
California waters on January 1, 2012. She also served on the MLPA Blue
Ribbon Task Forces for the North Coast, North Central Coast and
Central Coast. (www.dfg.ca.gov/...)

The “marine protected areas” created under her leadership fail to
protect the ocean from fracking, acidizing, other offshore oil
drilling, pollution, military testing, corporate aquaculture and all
human impacts on the ocean other than sustainable fishing and gathering.

While Reheis-Boyd served on the task forces to "protect" the ocean,
the same oil industry that the "marine guardian" represents was
conducting environmentally destructive fracking operations off the
Southern California coast. Documents obtained under the Freedom of
Information Act and media investigations by Associated Press and
truthout.org in 2013 reveal that the ocean has been fracked at least
203 times in the past 20 years, including the period from 2004 to 2012
that Reheis-Boyd served as a "marine guardian.”

Besides exerting enormous influence over state regulators, WSPA and
Big Oil also wield enormous power over federal regulators. Claiming
that fracking poses “no significant impact” to the environment, Obama
administration officials on May 27 finalized their plans to allow oil
companies to resume offshore fracking and acidizing in California’s
Santa Barbara Channel after a moratorium on fracking was temporarily
imposed as the result of a Center for Biological Diversity lawsuit.
(theecoreport.com/...)

As expected, Reheis-Boyd applauded the Environmental Assessment (EA)
report by the U.S. Bureau of Ocean Energy Management and the Bureau of
Safety and Environmental Enforcement that ended the moratorium on
offshore hydraulic fracturing in California:

“Today’s final report continues to reaffirm the sound science behind
our safe energy production practices,” Reheis Boyd said in a statement
on May 27. “Offshore producers in California will continue to adhere
to the strictest safety and operational standards in the world while
delivering affordable and reliable energy to U.S. consumers.”  (www.wspa.org/
... )

WSPA and Big Oil wield their power in five major ways: through (1)
lobbying; (2) campaign spending; (3) getting appointed to positions on
and influencing regulatory panels; (4) creating Astroturf groups: and
(5) working in collaboration with media. For my in-depth investigation
on the five ways WSPA and Big Oil have captured California politics,
go to: www.dailykos.com/…