[env-trinity] California's Scariest Halloween Horror Show: Jerry Brown's Delta Tunnels

Dan Bacher danielbacher at fishsniffer.com
Mon Oct 31 15:42:34 PDT 2016

http://fishsniffer.com/index.php/2016/10/31/californias-scariest-halloween-horror-show-jerry-browns-delta-tunnels/
http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/10/31/1589084/-California-s-Scariest-Halloween-Horror-Show-Jerry-Brown-s-Delta-Tunnel

Photo of Jerry Brown by Dan Bacher.

California's Scariest Halloween Horror Show: Jerry Brown's Delta Tunnels

by Dan Bacher

While adults and children alike dress up as vampires, ghosts, zombies,
extra-terrestrials and other creatures on Halloween, Governor Jerry
Brown is busy promoting his own real life horror show that exceeds the
terror found in any scary movie that’s ever appeared on the silver
screen — his Delta Tunnels of Death.

Like an evil vampire that you just can't seem to kill, the Delta-
destroying tunnels plan keeps coming back.

Jerry Brown is no stranger to vampires and “dark energy" himself.

In a pre-recorded interview with Chuck Todd this August, Brown
“compared the controversy surrounding Democratic front-runner Hillary
Clinton’s email server to a vampire plot,” reported Politico on August
21. (www.politico.com/..”.

“It has some kind of dark energy that gets everybody excited,”
Governor Brown said. “It’s almost like a vampire; she’s going to have
to find a stake and put it right through the heart of these emails.”

The California governor also said the email controversy “has kind of a
mystique to it.”

I think I will take the good advice that Brown had for the email
controversy and apply it to his Delta Tunnels plan. We must find a
stake and put it right through the “heart” of the California WaterFix
project.

As you may remember, the voters overwhelmingly defeated the water-
sucking and fish-exterminating vampire project, originally known as
the Peripheral Canal, in November 1982.

However, Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger resurrected the undead project
from its electoral tomb starting in 2007 under new, less scary-
sounding names - the Delta Vision Plan and the Bay Delta Conservation
Plan - and did everything he could push the plan through without
allowing the voters to vote, including pressuring the Legislation to
pass a water policy/water bond package in November 2009 that cleared
the path to the construction of the peripheral canal.

Jerry Brown embraced the water-guzzling vampire project of
Schwarzenegger's as his own "legacy" when he entered his third term as
Governor in January 2015 - and in fact fast-tracked the project as the
peripheral canal became the twin tunnels. .

I’ve published hundreds of articles about the Delta Tunnels, Governor
Jerry Brown's plan to divert Sacramento River water 30 miles under the
California Delta to facilitate its export to corporate agribusiness
and Southern California water agencies,  in a wide array of
publications.

In my reporting, I’ve covered many of the horrors of the deadly,
estuary-killing plan. These include:

• How the project won’t create one drop of new water while spending up
to $67 billion of taxpayer and ratepayer’s money.

• How the project’s former point man Jerry Meral, in a moment of
candor in 2013, claimed the Delta “cannot be saved,” after years of
promoting the peripheral canal and tunnels as the solution to the co-
equal goals of water supply reliability.

• How the reports of scientific panels, ranging from the Delta
Independence Science Board to federal EPA scientists, that have given
the alleged “science” of the tunnels project a failing grade.

• How the California WaterFix is a massive water grab for corporate
agribusiness interests and Southern California water agencies,
subsidized by the taxpayers.

• How the project won’t help Californians during the drought, fund
innovative water conservation, storm water capture, or water recycling
projects that are desperately needed.

• How the plan will push endangered fish species, such as Delta and
longfin smelt, winter Chinook salmon, Central Valley steelhead and
green sturgeon, over the abyss of extinction, while failing to address
the state's long-term water supply needs.

• How the project will devastate not only San Francisco Bay and Delta
fisheries, but recreational, commercial and subsistence fisheries up
and down the West Coast; the salmon fishery alone is worth $1.5
billion annually.

• How the tunnels will also imperil the salmon, steelhead and other
fish populations on the Klamath and Trinity Rivers that are an
integral part of the culture and livelihoods of the Yurok, Karuk and
Hoopa Valley tribes.

• How the tunnels would devastate the Delta’s $5.2 billion
agricultural economy and $750 million recreation and tourism economy.

• How the Winnemem Wintu Tribe and other California Indian Tribes have
been excluded or marginalized in the Delta Tunnels process.

• How documents for the tunnels projects, in an overt case of
environmental injustice, have not been translated into Spanish and
other languages, as required under an array of state and federal laws.

• How the current petition before the State Water Resources Control
Board and all of the previous plans, EIRs and documents of the plan
have failed to address other alternatives, such as the Environmental
Water Caucus’  Sustainable Water Plan for California, for achieving
the dual goals of ecosystem restoration and water supply.

I’ve  also covered the lack of scoping meetings for the new plan; lack
of details regarding financing, addition of 8,000 new pages for public
comment on top of the existing 40,000 pages that were previously
submitted by the state and federal governments last year; and the lack
of a cost-benefits analysis.

But in the many hours I’ve spent covering the California WaterFix and
its predecessors, there’s one deadly  flaw with the project that
stands out among all others: the false assumption the project is based
upon.

The Water Fix  is based on the absurd contention that taking up to
9,000 cubic feet per second of water from the Sacramento River at the
new points of diversion, as requested in the petition by the
Department of Water Resources  (DWR) and the U.S. Bureau of
Reclamation to the State Water Resources Control Board, will somehow
“restore” the Delta ecosystem.

I am not aware of a single project in US or world history where the
construction of a project that takes more water out of a river or
estuary has resulted in the restoration of that river or estuary.

Based on this untenable premise and all of the flaws that thousands of
Californians have uncovered about the project, I am strongly urging
the State Water Resources Control Board to reject the petition of DWR
and Reclamation requesting permits for new water diversion intakes on
the Sacramento River and water quality certification under the Clean
Water Act.

This vampire project will make the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta,
San Francisco Bay and our ocean waters into a giant aquatic graveyard.
We must drive a stake into the heart of this project of multiple
horrors and stop it from pushing Delta and longfin smelt, Central
Valley steelhead, Sacramento River winter-run Chinook salmon, green
sturgeon and other fish and wildlife species into the dark abyss of
extinction.