[env-trinity] Trinity Journal: Anticipation rises with lake level

Tom Stokely tstokely at att.net
Wed Apr 12 08:30:23 PDT 2017

http://www.trinityjournal.com/news/local/article_6f116706-1f28-11e7-a0ad-dfe7550bfe6c.html

Anticipation rises with lake level

   - By AMY GITTELSOHN The Trinity Journal
 - 2 hrs ago
 -  0

   -

   - Justin Zabel | Special to The Trinity Journal
Trinity Alps Marina with a near-full Trinity Lake and snow-capped mountains in the background.
   -
   -
   -
   -
   -
The Trinity Lake area is brimming with excitement as the lake continues to fill, reaching elevations it hasn’t attained in years.As of Sunday, the lake was 92 percent full, holding 2,261,276 acre-feet of water, and was still rising. At 12 feet from the top of the spillway it was at 2,358 feet elevation, the highest it’s been since 2012.From the Trinity Alps Marina located by the dam, owners Darrell and Marilyn Marlin are preparing for an increase in business.“Everybody’s calling for places to park their boats for the season,” Marilyn Marlin said.The nearby Fairview boat ramp is in the water after being unusable for several years, and the Marlins plan to re-open their bar and grill that had been closed. The business rents boats as well.  “I think it’s going to be a really good year,” she said, noting that a recent fishing tournament on the lake drew 40 boats.“Everybody is very excited to have the lake full again,” said Stephanie Storer, manager of the Trinity Center General Store.Aerial photos taken by the store owner were posted on the store’s Facebook page which “blew up,” she said. “I think it’s going to be a busy year.”While the release to the Trinity River will be high this year which is anticipated to fall in the “wet” or “extremely wet” categories and water will also be diverted for Central Valley Project uses, Storer noted there is a good snowpack to feed the lake as well.The high river release is an underlying worry for many, said Kelli Gant from the Trinity Lake Revitalization Alliance. “Otherwise,” she said, “I think everyone is really looking forward to having a lake most of the people can get to off the ramps most of this year.”
   -